I need an electrician's help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbRedGetta

Reaction score
So I'm following the ebay aquarium temp controller build and I ran into a problem.

The controller is rated for 10 amps, but my freezer says it pulls a max of 12 amps. Is there any way to make this temp controller work with my freezer?

I just got the controller in today; it's the one mentioned in the original thread -- the STC 1000 found on ebay.

Thanks!

IMG_20111220_213651.jpg

If you want to be on the safe side you can buy a relay thats rated for 15 amps, or if its cheaper return it and get a contoller rated for 15amps. With electricty you want to oversize.

The max amps will only be pulled for a second while the compressor starts. The continuous draw will be under 2 amps.

That controller should be more than fine, it's rated 10A at 250V. And as mentioned, that max draw would only be momentary anyway.

I repaired industrial controls for quite a few years. The peak current draw is going to be for a few milliseconds and then drop off. In addition there is typically a safety factor in component ratings (padding if you will). That said, you technically should be using a 15 amp controller but I honestly believe that this one will handle it for just fine.

So I'm following the ebay aquarium temp controller build and I ran into a problem.

The controller is rated for 10 amps, but my freezer says it pulls a max of 12 amps. Is there any way to make this temp controller work with my freezer?

I just got the controller in today; it's the one mentioned in the original thread -- the STC 1000 found on ebay.

Thanks!

It says right on there current is 1.69A....that is less than 2 amps, and only when the compressor is running....the max is referring to the in-rush current when the compressor kicks on...so it only lasts a second....

Back