Pitching on trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchy

Reaction score
Not sure if that's correct language for what I'm considering, but here's what it is. I'm about to brew this coming weekend, and after fermenting for 1 week, I'm brewing a second beer. I had read that you can pitch directly on the yeast cake of another beer so... What I was planning on doing was rack the first brew to a secondary, then pitch the second brew directly onto what was left in the trub from the first brew. So, the question is... 1) Is there anything wrong with this? 2) Will there be enough yeast floating in first beer to complete the fermenation in the secondary? 3) Are there any issues with putting the new wort direcly onto the entire trub\yeast cake from the first beer?

Some specifics
Brew 1: Nut Brown Ale, OG 1.066, yeast (WL002 highly floculant)
Brew 2: Oatmeal Stout, OG 1.062

1) No
2) Yes, it's no different than racking from a secondary any other time.
3) Not really as long as:
a. The first batch wasn't infected (obviously)
b. The first batch wasn't a really high gravity (that would have overstressed the yeast)
c. The first batch wasn't aggressively hopped or flavored, these flavors will carry to your second batch, in some cases people want that.

Git r dun

1) No
2) Yes, it's no different than racking from a secondary any other time.
3) Not really as long as:
a. The first batch wasn't infected (obviously)
b. The first batch wasn't a really high gravity (that would have overstressed the yeast)
c. The first batch wasn't aggressively hopped or flavored, these flavors will carry to your second batch, in some cases people want that.

+1 do it all the time

The next beer will take off like a rocket. I had one finish in under 12 hours from the time I pitched. I still do it but I may take 1/2 the old cake out or even a little more. I also use a blow off tube or a bunch of beer puke fills the air lock. There will be no fermentation may take up to 72 hours to start worries.

The next beer will take off like a rocket. I had one finish in under 12 hours from the time I pitched. I still do it but I may take 1/2 the old cake out or even a little more. I also use a blow off tube or a bunch of beer puke fills the air lock. There will be no fermentation may take up to 72 hours to start worries.

+1 defintely use a sanitized spoon and take some trub off will take off in like 2 hrs sometime lol...

Great!! Thanks for the response. Yes, one of the reasons I was planning this was to save money on the yeast. Originally, I had planned on collecting the yeast and putting in a mason jar the day before, but then I read a thread that someone said they normally put right on the yeast. Should I do anything to get more of the yeast suspended in the first brew before racking, or just leave alone, and rack as it sits? Also, How many times could you do this before worrying about too many dead yeast cells infecting the next brew? I don't anticipate doing this for more than 2 consecutive brew, but thought I'd ask.

What's the rule of thumb for repitching? Do you pitch onto a higher gravity wort ? Or lower?

I just saved and washed my yeast for the first time today. Wyeast 1007. Original gravity was 1.150. Don't intend on another high grav beer in a while. How long will it keep in fridge?

1.150? I probably wouldn't save that yeast... they were worked pretty hard in a batch like that

The biggest concern would be if you made any kind of mistake in the first batch that mistake will haunt you in the next batch. I am talking about infection. You have better odds of success of pitching clean yeast in a starter than reusing what you have. Your mileage may vary.

You can repitch if you want, but a fresh yeast starter is always preferable. Repitched beers always (IMO) have off flavors characteristic of overpitching, regardless of the first beer's gravity or IBU. It's fine to drink, but if you're planning on entering contests I'd advise against it. At a minimum, wash the yeast cake and use the pitching calculator at mrmalty.com to estimate the correct amount of yeast to add.

I never do it, however you can't learn if you don't try. I prefer to start with a clean slate and either use new yeast or sometimes washed yeast. If you are not interested in repeatability from brew to brew, go for it.

Could I ring in here with a question? Hopefully not off-topic.

Supposing I've met all the criteria discussed in this thread; My primaries are 6.5 gallon glass carboys. I've thought about pitching a new batch on the last batch's trub but I've been concerned with the crud left behind by the krausen of the last batch. Do I need to be concerned with this affecting the new batch?

Could I ring in here with a question? Hopefully not off-topic.

Supposing I've met all the criteria discussed in this thread; My primaries are 6.5 gallon glass carboys. I've thought about pitching a new batch on the last batch's trub but I've been concerned with the crud left behind by the krausen of the last batch. Do I need to be concerned with this affecting the new batch?

No. It's just old yeast and more of the same scum that the new beer will put off. If the look of it bothers you, you could wash the old yeast cake, decant the liquid off, and pitch both the new wort and washed yeast into a clean carboy.

Back