I melted my Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretman124

Reaction score
Found out why you don't pour boiling water in a Better Bottle. Can't recall any warnings about it in the folder that came with it (tossed it), from the forum or from the store I bought it at.

Lesson learned

100_3004.jpg

Just an fyi,....don't mess with boiling water period. It'll burn you quicker than spilling a cup of McDonalds coffee on your crotch.

A glass carboy would have cracked, and perhaps exploded.

I don't put anything hotter than my tap water in my Better Bottles. BB does their testing for cleaning at 60 degrees C or 140 degree F.

Good experience though and thanks for reminding me of my experiment of the BB full bottle drop. If the weather is good, I may get it on video this weekend.

I boil about 2 gallons of top off water each time I brew. I normally put it in a water bottle that eveybody debates the usefulness of. However, this time it was being used as a blow off container, so I grabbed the nearest PLASTIC bottle I could find. I know a glass bottle would have shrapnelled my legs pretty good.

I wasn't expecting the +$20 fancy bottle to melt. The FREE culligan bottle has had many gallons of BOILING water poured in it with no issues. Don't think I'm going to waste money on better bottles after this. I will buy their ports, tho. Retrofit a couple culligan bottles as secondaries. I still like glass for the primary.....

Well, I don't know if your water bottles are rated for hot water either. Just because it doesn't self destruct doesn't mean you're not leeching chemicals out of the plastic.

I'd recommend HDPE buckets since they are food grade AND rated to 240F. They get a little soft, but not too bad.

Bobby_M said:
Well, I don't know if your water bottles are rated for hot water either. Just because it doesn't self destruct doesn't mean you're not leeching chemicals out of the plastic.

That's the reason I use ceramic cookware in the microwave.

When it says microwave safe it simply means the plastic won't melt.

I don't have a BB but when I was thinking of getting one I thought the warnings about hot liquid and the BB was fairly evident and straight forward.

I'm still very happy with my Better Bottles. I just kegged a batch of Apfelwein this week and as I was rinsing out the bottle, I marveled at how light and easy it was to handle. Put a little hot tap water in, shake around and all the lees washed out. I then filled it to the brim with hot tap water and some PBW and let soak for a while. After a quick rinse, again easy as pie, I put a couple quarts of starsan sanitizer in and plugged the hole with a #10 stopper. Roll is around a few times over a 10 minute period and poured my starsan back into my starsan bucket. I then set the BB to drain in a measuring cup before starting another batch of Apfelwein.

Ya can't beat a Better Bottle when you use it like you are supposed to. Wait till some of you young whippersnappers throw your back out moving a glass carboy or you drop one or it just up and decides today is the day I'm going to crack when you have 5 gallons of precious nectar in it.

Wow, even a small bit of 190* water shrunk mine. A heavy item had fallen on my BB and disformed it. I didn't care about the shape but there was a kink I didn't think I could get clean enough for a ferm vessel. I thought about a hair dryer, but I am a single guy, so 1/2 gallon off the stove it was. Poured it into a funnel with plans to use an air compressor to pop out the kink. Just that .5 gal shrunk it instantly under the funnel. No harm as the BB was already shot for a ferm; I played further with boiling water and the compressor, now I have a 6 gallon banana:ban:

Back