Screw it I am gonna start kegging!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
I am finally to the point that I no longer enjoy bottling at all, just placed an order for 6 kegs, got a fridge. Now I need a few other things, but hopefully in a few weeks I will be drinking kegged beer. So what are some good, (Cheap) sites to get the other stuff from? :mug:

I followed wome outstanding advice from BierMuncher and ordered my supplies from Midwest brewing supply, and they have GREAT customer support.
I am luck enough to havea Micromatic right doen the street from me, so I get all my gas and liquid lines and hardware locally now. ( I didnt know this when I ordered from Midwest)

I would also suggest a Uni Bit from Lowes to drill the holes for the faucets. Put some painters tape over the spot where you want to drill, then peel it away for a nice clean hole. (wow that sounded really bad).

You are going to love it, nothing beats the cool factor of a keggerator.

Whoop Whoop Whoop!

Just don't give away all of your bottles. Kegging is great for session beers, but I would prefer 2 cases of Tripel over a keg of Tripel. :D

I'd check kegconnection too. They have great customer service and good deals. They let you mix and match your kits too. :)

+1 on kegconnection plus they're in Texas!

Check craigslist for a co2 tank or call around to freakin everywhere. I spent the good part of 8hrs (at work :D) calling around for a co2 tank and finally scored a full 20lber for like $75.

Oh, and get perlicks....just do it. You'll most likely change them out later on if you go with the cheapies. It's like the whole "Should I get a 5gal or 10gal mash tun?" debate.

Kegging rocks! :rockin:

I'd check kegconnection too. They have great customer service and good deals. They let you mix and match your kits too. :)

Yes, I bought a keg from kegconnection.com, ordered Monday and it was here by Thursday! It was the B-grade ($35 shipped) and was in good condition, smelled like soda inside, but also came with a full set of replacement o-rings for free.

Yup I've got 4 B-grade kegs and they work fine....sure they're a little dented but they're just going to be in the kegger so who cares?

There was a mistake in the kit that was shipped to me. They only sent me the beer side of my kit! Luckily, after a call and a couple emails to clear up exactly what I was missing (CO2 tank, regulator and gas lines), they got them in the mail that day. I can't say enough about their customer service, and the prices for the entire kit were pretty good. I tried pricing stuff out separately and it wasn't very economical.

The perlick upgrade was only $40 for 2 faucets. Seems well worth it considering if I got the regular faucets, I'd just end up spending $40 apiece on perlicks later!

Looks good but again, you'll be doing yourself a favor to look around for a co2 tank. New 5lbers are like $60 and need to be filled....like I said I got a filled 20lber for $75 from a random liquor store.

If you need to call them they are a bit hard to get a hold of but when you do they are super nice and will help you out.

One thing that you might want to consider, is having a second guage, so you can carb one at 36 psi, and still leave the other keg at serving pressure. I spent the extra money, and love the fact that I can do two different pressures. Also comes in handy when doing soda, for the different pressures.

I got a 20 lb tank off craigslist for $15 (empty) It is out of cert but I know a few places that will swap tanks, should be arouond $30 to get a full one in cert. Would be kind of neat to keep my tank made in 1953 but neater to save the $20 or so to hydrotest it.

The "screw it" attitude is what got me into kegging as well. I'm still building my system and its turning out to be more expensive than I thought.

I ordered my equipment from Midwest.
I ordered on a Thursday night, they shipped Friday afternoon, and I had everything the following tuesday - cant beat that!

That looks perfect man! Definately go with the faucett upgrade. What kind of fridge you got?

Well I have a side by side I can use, just not sure how well I will like it. If I had patients I could have another fridge that is already converted, but its one of my friends that is at TBS right now and not sure when he will be back so I can get it.

I've been thinking this myself. Go to kegging. SWMBO has been bitching about all of the bottles I have on hand. ~ 15-20 cases.

I have a upright fridge in my basement. Two things usually prevent me from going this route.

1) the loss of storage in the fridge. All of the shelves would need to come out.

2) basement is unfinished and storage for all of our $hit. Not the primo entertainment spot.

I've always wondered if I should try just using a jock box set-up. Don't know if storing kegs at room temp is all that good for the beer itself.

I still ponder.... :(

You will really, really like kegging. It is one of the best things I did. I came back from a 3 week vacation and the first thing I did was head to the kegger. :)

I have a dual regulator and it is handy for running 2 different pressures so if you can afford it get one.

I'll be screwing bottle thing right after my vacation. August 18th the keezer project begins. I can't wait:ban: I had a mini-1gallon batch to bottle yesterday and just wanted to dump it instead.

just recently made the leap myself. still need to get together the chilling system ie: keezer
but so far first batch on ice for the wife and my 30th party today tastes good!

got parts from kegkits. their regulator was priced really well, got hosing and a picnic tap connection.

anyone know where to get perlick or ventmatic faucets? NB is showing them out :(

figure after the keezer project i'll have to do another one for fermenting.

Back