malt syrup shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpt222

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a shelf life for malt extract. I found a beer making kit at a garage sale that had Munton and Fison brand Malt Extract (wheat). The cans seem maybe just slightly swelled at the top and bottom, but I can't tell if that's just the normal shape of the can. Anyone have experience with this product or shelf life in general? I have no idea what conditions these supplies have been kept in. Thanks!

I just used a can of Premier malt extract that had a date code of 1984. The can was extremely bulged on both ends. The extract darkens with age. I wrote to Premier in the early 1980's and asked them about the bulging. They said it should be no problem. I got into the habit of checking the dates on cans & making deals for discounts. I still have a few more cans & even though they seem to be antique, they will not be on eBay, they will be used!

According to Ashton Lewis (aka Mr. Wizard), the water activity of malt extract is similar to the water activity of honey. The lack of water inhibits growth of pretty much anything, except at the surface, where more water could be available from surounding air.

http://***********/departments/1677.html

Malt extract does darken with age and can develop a cooked/stale flavor in some cases. The water activity comment is correct, but mold can grow. Manufacturers take precautions in packaging but problems do occur.

For me, extract that is over a year old is beyond it's useful life. When I was extract brewing, I would not buy canned extract but only bulk extract where I knew the age of the drum it was taken from. I did not want to risk my time and effort brewing with potentially poor ingredients. It was not worth it in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.;)

Dr Malt:mug:

Back