White wine must a browny color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickCov

Reaction score
Hi,

I got a white wine kit as a Christmas gift which I pitched on Saturday 12th. I'm a little concerned that the must is brown. Is this oxidation and will it clear as the yeast do their job? I notice that the top 1/5th of the fermenter is lighter in color than the rest.

Thanks

Hi,

I got a white wine kit as a Christmas gift which I pitched on Saturday 12th. I'm a little concerned that the must is brown. Is this oxidation and will it clear as the yeast do their job? I notice that the top 1/5th of the fermenter is lighter in color than the rest.

Thanks

I've never seen that before, as usually the must is white or maybe golden colored. Hopefully it is not going to affect the wine.

What kind of kit is it?

I hope so too! It seems ok, it's fermenting away like a trooper! It's just the colour, it looks more like scrumpy cider!

The kit is from a company called make your own. It came in a heavy duty foil pouch rather than a tin, I don't think it's an expensive one.

I hope someone can explain this for me.

Can anyone offer any advice here?

Will the yeast use up the oxygen making it a normal color or will finings help the finished product?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

RickCov said:

Will the yeast use up the oxygen making it a normal color or will finings help the finished product?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Other clues might be helpful, taste, smell....

I did a white wine that was a bit dark (not really brown though). Cleared up beautifully after fermentation and finings added.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Yes... to both questions.

The yeast can and will scrub as much oxygen as they can from the juice. Its one of the reasons we oxigenate right before pitching the yeast.

Finings will also drop out any browish particles that are most likely bits of grape skin.

I have done several kits that seemed 'brown' in color. If your yeast are chugging away I think you are OK. :)

Welcome to the hobby!

Brilliant, thanks guys! I feel more confident about the batch now.

And thanks WilliamSlayer, I've been brewing as an amateur for around a year now, starting out with different flavored juices from the store which turned out well, now I'm getting more serious and experimenting with different things, I'd love to get in to all grain beer brewing along with picking my own fruits for making wine!

I'll post pics of the finished wine once it's ready! :)

Brilliant, thanks guys! I feel more confident about the batch now.

And thanks WilliamSlayer, I've been brewing as an amateur for around a year now, starting out with different flavored juices from the store which turned out well, now I'm getting more serious and experimenting with different things, I'd love to get in to all grain beer brewing along with picking my own fruits for making wine!

I'll post pics of the finished wine once it's ready! :)

All white wine kits I've done were brown at that point as well. Once the yeast settles out it will be a nice golden colour...nothing to worry about.

So here it is, the finished product, looks like I didn't need to worry after all, it tastes good too! Thanks guys :)

image-2937350962.jpg

Back