Is pitching Brett C directly into primary okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marchborne

Reaction score
Getting reacy to do my first brett, and would like to know if it's okay to pitch my brett C directly into my primary, with the trub from the saison still in there.

My reasoning is that I have one 5-gallon better bottle carboy with the BB spigot attached. I would prefer to use it for my brett secondary, so I can take small samples without disturbing the pelicle with a thief. However, this is the same carboy being used as my primary for the base saison I want to bug-up.

Will the trub be okay for the 6+ months I intend to "secondary" for, with the brett? I know leaving it a few months is okay, from all of the no-secondary debate, but what about leaving it for that long, and with the brett on top of it?

Any input appreciated, and thanks from a sour/wild newb.

Ive done what youre doing with a Belgian Strong, except I pitched Brett at high krausen in hopes of some extra funk. It will be fine for 6 months imo, brett actually feeds on the dead sacch cells i believe.

Coff said:
Ive done what youre doing with a Belgian Strong, except I pitched Brett at high krausen in hopes of some extra funk. It will be fine for 6 months imo, brett actually feeds on the dead sacch cells i believe.

Yeah this was my understanding as well, the brett will eat sacch...

Many thanks, y'all! This should be a fun one, adding brett c to a citra saison with more citra dry-hopping right at the end, and hoping to get real tropical/citrus brett result.

Getting reacy to do my first brett, and would like to know if it's okay to pitch my brett C directly into my primary, with the trub from the saison still in there.

My reasoning is that I have one 5-gallon better bottle carboy with the BB spigot attached. I would prefer to use it for my brett secondary, so I can take small samples without disturbing the pelicle with a thief. However, this is the same carboy being used as my primary for the base saison I want to bug-up.

Will the trub be okay for the 6+ months I intend to "secondary" for, with the brett? I know leaving it a few months is okay, from all of the no-secondary debate, but what about leaving it for that long, and with the brett on top of it?

Any input appreciated, and thanks from a sour/wild newb.

the formation of a pellicle is not a sure thing and if it does form disturbing it is not an issue at all. i've made about 10 sours and have seen 2-3 pellicles, poked right through them to take samples.

Latest posts

Back