First Bottle Bomb! Yeah, that was exciting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
So I made an experimental half-batch a while ago and it just wasn't very good. I wound up using most of it for cooking.

Problem was, I knew when I bottled it that I didn't mix the priming solution in at all. I took a little taste from the dregs of the bottling bucket and it was very, very sweet. That led to uneven carbonation.

I forgot about a bomber of that batch until last night when it went kablooey. That must have been one of the over-carbed ones. Fortunately it was in a closet and the glass was contained, but that was a hell of a boom. I was especially impressed with the practically powdered glass that was all over the wall. Lots of power in those things.

These posts make me want to wear my welding mask when I handle my bottles!

Seen in the movies where they handle Nitroglycerin? Kinda like that.

Jon - glad you're ok. Have safety glasses?

There are two types of brewers:

Those that have had bottles bombs.....and those that will.

Kealia said:
There are two types of brewers:

Those that have had bottles bombs.....and those that will.

+1 to that.

Still, broken glass is my #1 enemy in brewing. I'd rather have a spoiled batch before I go to the ER.

Luckily, my few bombs have taken place in boxes. I have yet to have one blow up in my hands. Only time will tell...

My bottle bomb decided to go off while I was trying to open it. Lots of glass shards to pick out of my hands. After my wife pulled them out and bandaged me up, I (carefully, with a towel over it) opened another one. It was perfectly carbed and help to dull the pain. :mug:

As my 1st batch since in my primary about a week out from bottling, I can't help but wonder....

how long until I manage to cause myself some troubles....

and how do I attempt to prevent it ?

Second batch I did was a nut brown ale. Bottle two cases and put them in the warm dark pantry. A few days later I was awoken at two AM by a long THUD! Grabbed my bat and started sneaking through the house looking for whoever was there. Walked by the pantry and instantly my foot was wet. Turned on the light and there was an ever-widening circle of brown liquid several feet across. Open the pantry and there is beer on the wall, the food, the door, everywhere. looked in one case and half dozen bottles are just piles of glass. Got towels, and emptied the cabinet. Started soaking up beer and I hear "honey is everything alright". "Go back to sleep, everything this fine". Two hours later, after mopping, cleaning the wall, wiping off the food, and restocking the pantry, I go to bed. "Ooh, you smell like beer". From then on, bottles condition in the garage. Never happened again.

When I was a kid in Libya, one guy made good beer, but we always opened them in a towel as far away as possible. None ever burst, but several fountains hit the ceiling. My cousin decided to ferment some grape juice in High School but put the lid on the bottle to keep things clean. He hid it in the garage. BOOM!

I just recently got a capper and glass bottles, maybe I should have stuck with PET bottles...

As my 1st batch since in my primary about a week out from bottling, I can't help but wonder....

how long until I manage to cause myself some troubles....

and how do I attempt to prevent it ?

Use good sanitation and the proper amount of priming sugar and you should be fine.

Back