How many oysters? Oyster stout 5 gallon.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
I am about to get my hands on some fresh oysters and wanted to know how many would be needed to add that subtle briny taste of an oyster stout. I will be making a 5 gallon batch.

I am going to use fresh whole oysters, shell and all. I plan on scrubbing the heck out of the shells to get as much of the grime off as I can and put them into a mesh hop bag during the boil. Any thoughts on the amount I would need?

I have never made one, but I always thought the shells were removed ahead of time. Less than a pound of oysters. If you leave the shells on, you'd need to adjust the weight.

The original BYO article reported that they added a 10oz can of oysters to their oyster stout.
If you leave the shells on, you beer will become high in calcium from the shells.

I would suggest using only the meat of the oysters. Probably 16 - 20 oz, as you will not be adding the briney liquid from the canned oysters.

I used about a half dozen oysters, shells and all. One of the best beers I've made so far.

I have heard up to 10 with shells and all. Remember that one of the reasons that this style was created was that their water was lacking calcium and the shells helped bring it up. I would check your water profile first so you do not end up with too much calcium.

Uhh i know this is over a year after your post, but i use 40 oysters when i brew and i schuck them before hand

Back