Chang (Thai beer) Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustTegIt

Reaction score
I have recently found a great lager called Chang - made in Thailand. Anyone have a clone recipe for this?

I've drunk me a lot of Chang over the years. Fond memories. Anyway, the word on the street was always that it was the Carlsberg recipe. Tastes like a pretty standard adjunct lager to me.

That's horrid horrid horrid beer!
Over here in Thailand only people who can't afford other beers drink Chang(of which there are the great sum of,wait for it,about 9). The "Changover" is a killer!
But on tap it's not too bad.

Ha-ha in Italy budwiser is the preferred beer in a lot of places! So just because something is crap in one place doesn't mean its not gold somewhere else.

Like how PBR is sold in a fancy bottle for $44 in China.

But yeah, I drank some Chang when in Thailand. Tended to prefer the Tiger lager myself, but both of them were pretty generic light lagers. Just clone any American style light lager and you'll get close; tweak it from there.

Is rather have a pbr than beer made in China. I mean how good could their water possibly be with their pollution problems and all.

Is rather have a pbr than beer made in China. I mean how good could their water possibly be with their pollution problems and all.

Some of their breweries use well water and water straight from springs and the like (think "spring water" and "bottled at the source" on your more expensive bottled water to get an idea of what I mean). If you've ever seen some of the rivers in Europe, you might be asking the same questions regarding water. :mug:

Oh, and I think the PBR in China is made in China, much like Bud in Italy is probably made in Italy...

Yeah, and American Guinness is made by Molson and American Sapporo is made by Labatt and American Kirin is made by Anhauser-Busch. Country of origin means very little to international companies. They just switch the formulation of their base beer a bit and slap the label on.

Same with cereal and other nationwide food products; go to different places of the country and the ingredients will be different. Made under contract by fabrication companies.

Yeah, and American Guinness is made by Molson and American Sapporo is made by Labatt and American Kirin is made by Anhauser-Busch. Country of origin means very little to international companies. They just switch the formulation of their base beer a bit and slap the label on.

Same with cereal and other nationwide food products; go to different places of the country and the ingredients will be different. Made under contract by fabrication companies.

100% concur. And it is the same with numerous other products. Soft drink companies, restaurants, etc. all go with local manufacturers simply due to costs related to shipping. Now if only they could figure out how to mass market syrups for soda in Europe instead of individual bottles without refills...

Thanks for the note on the American / foreign beers brewed in the US, btw. I learned something.

Back