Brewing Outside - Light struck issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStef

Reaction score
When brewing outside do we have to worry about the beer becoming light struck and skunky? If not, at what point do we have to be concerned about sunlight and beer?

Cheers!

BrewStef

I was wondering this same thing over the weekend as I drove back from a group-brew at BOSTONBREWIN's house with a carboy full of beer in the back seat of my car.

-walker

I frequently brew outside without issue, but anytime I have a carboy outside of by fridge or brewing closet I be sure to have a dark T-shirt over it to keep out some of the light. Up to this point I havn't had any issue with skunky beer.

dont worry about brewing outside. The uv light/skunk problem only occurs when isomerized hops react in fermented beer. Its caused by a combination of a yeast by-product, light and hops. So untill the hops are isomerized (chemically altered) and the wort is fermented its not a problem.

Bjorn Borg said:
dont worry about brewing outside. The uv light/skunk problem only occurs when isomerized hops react in fermented beer. Its caused by a combination of a yeast by-product, light and hops. So untill the hops are isomerized (chemically altered) and the wort is fermented its not a problem.

Awesome news, thanks!

The only thing that you have to worry about while brewing outside is birds bombing your brew... or if it becomes night and you keep the light on near the pot... bugs joining the festivities..

Bjorn Borg said:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!!

Back