• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Steel Stock and/or Strut For Building a Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsap

Reaction score
Located in Vermont. Let me know if you have any extra. Can't seem to find strut anywhere around here for less that total rip off prices.

Hey nsap, i live in Montpelier area and work in Essex. I priced some stainless square stock at capitol steel a year and a half or two years ago. I was looking at 1.5" instead of the 2" and remember it came to just shy of $400 for the 40' called for in the original brutus plans.

I dont know much about metal prices but do know we all need to make a living including the miners and the distribution chain that gets the metal all the way up here to Vermont. That said I haven't coughed up the dough for it cause i was strapped for time and wouldnrather brew than build if given the choice. I did find much cheaper prices at the local metals recycling outfit (like $100-150 for 2" diameter), however he rarely sees square stock only round pipe. The complex joinery required by the round pipe and the fact that i havent procured or learned welding yet has prvented me from going this route. I've got a 10 month old (and he is our fourth in 6 years) so I haven't really been able to find much more free time lately. I would also recommend watching craigslist for scrap or construction leftovers. But i think between a recycler and hawking CL you could find some thing. PM me if you want the recycler's contact info, and lt me know if you stumble into a larger quantity to buy. I could invest in the materials now, one day mybrood will be grown and i will build my own stand ;-)

There is a place in PA here that I buy my steel from and it's 11 for 10 foot 1.5 square 14ga. If I were you, I would look local for steel and find someone to weld it up. Or, if you any type of handy, weld it yourself. I bought a cheap HF welder and have had so much fun learning and using it. I've built two stands and a utility table with it.

Two questions - are you looking for stick steel or unistrut? Second question - would you be interested in a pre-cut kit for a Brutus 10 or Doghouse rig shipped standard ground shipping, ready to weld?

I guess third question - how does one get a vendor account here?

Back