Fruity smell in primary fermentation (Fix)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearsjv

Reaction score
Hello all! I am currently brewing a custom Big-Oktoberfest and I was 24hrs into primary fermentation, when I noticed aggressive waterlock activity with fruity aromas. I know that when a beer starts smelling fruity it possibly is infected or off, so i took temperature readings and noticed that it was in the eighty's, so I crashed it in a low tech but surprisingly stable way i.e I filled a spare bathtub with cold water and submerged my fermenter half way and left it alone for about six hours; when I returned to take another temp reading i noticed that it had crashed from eighty plus to sixty-four F. The waterlock activity has slowed to about a bubble every five-mins and the aroma is oh so good!, it now smells like tip-top ale and I'm hoping that I was able to intervene before my yeasties produced too much ester at higher temps. I wanted to share this with all of you to get your input and thoughts in regards to my methods of preventing a tainted brew. Thank you all for reading my post, Cheers!

Most lagers need to be fermented a cooler temperature ranges. My last octoberfest fermented at 52 degrees F. Yours is way too high.

Thank you sir!, I should have mentioned it is an ale replica of the true lager and not am actual lager with bottom fermenting yeast rather top fermenting ale yeast. Thank you and sorry for the error in my description.

Back