Aluminum SCUBA tank Conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demagxc

Reaction score
I own 2 old aluminum 80 scuba tanks that I can no longer fill because the batch of aluminum used to make them was flawed and was causing tanks to explode...So i would like to re-purpose them as fermentors. My first concern is the aluminum being exposed the PH of fermenting beer. I was wondering if there would be a good way to line the inside of the tanks so i could use them as conicals. If I can line them it should be easy enough to remove the valve and install a new one and a yeast catcher. Also, I am sure I could create some kind of lid, but first I need to see if lining the tanks is even possible.

I've got a couple old SCUBA tanks like that too. I don't know what you'd be able to line the insides with, it would have to be a liquid type process. Once you get the valve off there isn't enough room to really put anything into it.

I would re-purpose them into a snazzy mailbox or something else. I'm all for recycling materials into new projects but I can't see how these would work for you.

If you do get them up and running in your brewing operation I'll buy you a six-pack just to see what you did with them.

Have you seen the fire extinguisher beer dispenser??

It would require a dip tube, faucet, the ability to pressurize and probably a handle...

image-2224553243.jpg

Oh... And you'd have to get creative when it runs dry and it needs to be cleaned!!

I think it really comes down to how much you are willing to modify them. In their current condition, your options are very limited IMO. Keep us posted on what you decide!!

I did a quick search and I came up with some food safe epoxies. I used 'food safe coatings.' You'll want to your own research on if constant contact is okay, including pH, safe for contact with alcohol, etc., etc., etc. To coat; I'd want stuff that is more like thick water, I'd pour some in, seal it (I'd be careful not to foul any threads or such so you can add or remove fittings) and turn it about to coat the entire inside. Pour out the excess, let it cure and inspect the results. I would imagine you will want to do at least 2 coats. Research, research, research (its free and e-mail manufacturers, that's free too) and use your best judgement.

Thanks everyone! It looks like I have a few options. I did find some of the food grade epoxy coatings and sent a few emails out about them. I also found a few cross section pictures of aluminum tanks and it seems like there is more space inside than I thought. I will keep everyone posted if I find any more info and decide to move forward.

I looked at a few different food grade epoxy options and although they were food grade and cheep, they couldn't tolerate the low PH. One company named Carboline does offer a product called Plasite 9133 that would work perfectly.

http://www.carboline.com/markets-we-serve/transportation/product-details.aspx?market=Transportation%20(Railcar)&product=163P

Below are the emails I got from the company

Plasite 9133 available 3 colors light gray, white, light blue, in 1 gallon unit or 5 gallon unit.. Price without freight or tax if applicable is $92.84 per gallon in 5's or $94.84 per gallon in 1's..Thinner #71 in 1 gallon is $27.76

Plasite 9133 in all listed colors is a food grade lining suitable for aqueous food contact. BUT regardless of the substrate (stainless steel, carbon steel or aluminum) the Plasite 9133 must be force cured at 225F (substrate temperature) for 4 hours before being subjected to aqueous food immersion (in this case beer). As long the immersion temperature does not exceed 100F, Plasite 9133 that has been properly installed and force cured will handle beer (regardless of brand).

For the price I might as well put together a plastic conical. There might be some other project where the cost of this stuff would make it worth it but sadly this is not that project.

Scrap aluminum is going for around $0.50-60/lb right now, so your old tanks are worth about $15 each in scrap. I sold a bunch of pre '90 tanks last year with some other aluminum scrap, and ended up getting over $150 - you can put the $$ towards plastic connicals.

The shops around me will not let me fill them anymore...they look at the numbers stamped on the side and send me away :(

demagxc said:
The shops around me will not let me fill them anymore...they look at the numbers stamped on the side and send me away :(

That's because they don't wish to die from shrapnel when the tank blows. Thats no joke. Red Hook just had an employee killed on the keg filling line while hydro testing kegs.

kickrjason said:
That's because they don't wish to die from shrapnel when the tank blows. Thats no joke. Red Hook just had an employee killed on the keg filling line while hydro testing kegs.

I know I was talking to one shop owner who had one go while he was filling it. Luckily he fills in a water bath and it contained it somewhat.

Hi

As you appear to have already noticed, aluminum is not the best thing for storing acids in. Even if the coating is cheap, you have to be sure that it gets *everywhere* in the container. That sounds neat until you start to think about fittings and threads. It's *very* hard to make sure those sort of things get sealed. You can pull the valve and coat, thread area gets mucked up when you put the valve back on. You can leave a fitting on and coat, coating cracks at the joint when you torque the valve back on.

This is not just an issue for brew stuff. It's something you run into a lot playing with aluminum. There often is no good solution.

Bob

Back