Very little carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
I don't get it. I bottled my AHS American Pale Ale over a month ago, and there is still very little carbonation. I used the carbing sugar that came with the kit...boiled it in a couple of cups of water then mixed in the bottling bucket. This batch sat in secondary for a bit longer than normal - 6 weeks, but I don't see why that should make a difference.

Does anyone have any idea what went wrong?

so its carb'd, just weakly so?
how much corn sugar was used to prime (assuming 5 gallon batch)

you might want to invert all the bottles a few times, give it another week. make sure you condition at room temp, not cold condition or it'll take forever to carb up.

only other possibility would be the caps not being sealed, or your sugar water didn't mix evenly so some bottles are weak, some are gushers...but since you stirred it as extra insurance I really doubt that's the cause.

It's barely carbed at all. If I pour it aggressively I'll get some small, weak bubbles, but that's about it.

I couldn't tell you the exact amount of corn sugar...just what AHS put in their little packets.

What temp have you been storing the bottles at? You could try storing them warm, inverting them, and check the caps as mentioned. By this time you should definitely have decent carbonation. The package from the HBS was probably 6oz of sugar which is sufficient. The longer secondary could've allowed too much yeast to drop, but I doubt it. Other than visuals, does it *taste* carbed at all?

The packs of sugar I got from AHS were 4.5 oz never had a problem.

I had the same problem with a Pale Ale I made a few weeks ago. Everyone told me to invert the bottles a few times and store it in a warmer place which I did and its still flat. :(

I'm thinking along the same lines as you are about the "did it stay in secondary for too long" line of reasoning.

I think I let the beer sit in secondary too long, and in fact I'm almost sure thats what happend now that I've had a chance to review.

Gotta keep in mind that most of these people here who advocate leaving the beer in the secondary for a long time probably keg their beer instead of bottling it anyway.

So far of all the beers I've done ( getting close to 20 batches now ) the ones that were in secondary the longest are the most carbonation challenged. And the ones that I bottled right out of the primary and let condition in the bottles instead came out the most nicely carbonated.

I think from now on if I'm going to bottle beer its going to get 1 week in the primary 1 week in the secondary, or maybe even just 2 weeks in the primary.

I'll save the long stays in the secondary for when I can put a beer in a keg and force carbonate it.

This is just my take on it, I'm no expert but I think if you bottle your beer and you want it carbonated like a commercial beer then you're better off letting the beer condition in the bottle instead of in the secondary. Well at least don't let it sit in the secondary for too long.

EVERY SINGLE BATCH I did used to be this way. Inverted, boiled, dry...all of it. Then I stopped using the one size fits all 3/4 cup rule and used this.

It will baffle you how much it says to use. Then you will try it once and be convinced....I know I was.

Unfortunately, there is very little you can do about this batch. Trying to add sugar later on is a PITA. I would wait about another month and that is about as good as it's going to get if you store around 75.

BTW...I always secondary 2 weeks or more and bottle. There is PLENTY of yeast still in suspension for the carb sugar.

Soulive21 said:
What temp have you been storing the bottles at? You could try storing them warm, inverting them, and check the caps as mentioned. By this time you should definitely have decent carbonation. The package from the HBS was probably 6oz of sugar which is sufficient. The longer secondary could've allowed too much yeast to drop, but I doubt it. Other than visuals, does it *taste* carbed at all?

Nope. Flat as a pancake. I'm storing them in the high 60s, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Mutilated1 said:
I had the same problem with a Pale Ale I made a few weeks ago. Everyone told me to invert the bottles a few times and store it in a warmer place which I did and its still flat. :(

I'm thinking along the same lines as you are about the "did it stay in secondary for too long" line of reasoning.

I think I let the beer sit in secondary too long, and in fact I'm almost sure thats what happend now that I've had a chance to review.

Gotta keep in mind that most of these people here who advocate leaving the beer in the secondary for a long time probably keg their beer instead of bottling it anyway.

So far of all the beers I've done ( getting close to 20 batches now ) the ones that were in secondary the longest are the most carbonation challenged. And the ones that I bottled right out of the primary and let condition in the bottles instead came out the most nicely carbonated.

I think from now on if I'm going to bottle beer its going to get 1 week in the primary 1 week in the secondary, or maybe even just 2 weeks in the primary.

I'll save the long stays in the secondary for when I can put a beer in a keg and force carbonate it.

This is just my take on it, I'm no expert but I think if you bottle your beer and you want it carbonated like a commercial beer then you're better off letting the beer condition in the bottle instead of in the secondary. Well at least don't let it sit in the secondary for too long.

Funny you say that because most of the time I don't use a secondary, and this is the first time I've had a problem with carbonation. I think I'll stick with 3 weeks or so in the primary from now on.

Kayos said:
EVERY SINGLE BATCH I did used to be this way. Inverted, boiled, dry...all of it. Then I stopped using the one size fits all 3/4 cup rule and used this.

It will baffle you how much it says to use. Then you will try it once and be convinced....I know I was.

Unfortunately, there is very little you can do about this batch. Trying to add sugar later on is a PITA. I would wait about another month and that is about as good as it's going to get if you store around 75.

BTW...I always secondary 2 weeks or more and bottle. There is PLENTY of yeast still in suspension for the carb sugar.

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try the next time. For this batch I'll just wait a few more weeks to see what happens.

Mutilated1 said:

Well now don't be too sure that you left your "carbonation challenged" brews in the secondary too long. This summer I bottled an Oktoberfest that had been sitting in the secondary just over 4 months. I was concerned that it might not carbonate, so I did a little experiment. I mixed the priming sugar with the beer in the bottling bucket and bottled about 1/2 the batch. I then added one packet of rehydrated dry yeast to the remaining beer in the bottling bucket. Both batches carbonated quite nicely. The batch without the yeast took longer, but they've both been in the bottles about 7 weeks now and I can't tell any difference in the carbonation levels.

Thats a shame :(

The only thing I would guess is the long secondary screwed you. I'm assuming the gravity was average (around 1.055) so the yeast probably got fat, tired, and crapped out by bottling time. I've only gone over one month secondary on one beer. The OG on it was 1.080 though so the yeast had lots to keep them entertained. I will say though, that batch took about 3 months to full carb...

Maybe I just need to give it some more time. The alcohol is probably 6 or 7 percent, so perhaps that's slowing things down a little.

The carbonation seems fine now. Some of the bottles have a little less, but with an aggressive pour I'll get a very Guinness-like head formation. I must not have mixed the primer in well enough.

Back