trader joe's mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwaite

Reaction score
I was at a trader joe's in Maine today an went to the wine section. I noticed they had mead... It was $12 a bottle so the wife wasn't down for me grabbing one right then. I was wondering if any one has tried it an if it was good?

Any feed back would be cool thanks.

Trader Joes carries mostly private-label stuff in general - but that sometimes extends to their beer and wine.

I know Unibroue, that makes La Fin Du Monde, also make Trader Joes vintage ale.

I'm guessing something similar happened with their mead.

lol, wow, alcohol is sure cheap in the US. Here in Canada a bottle of the cheapest hard liquor is $25 (40%), and $12 is really cheap wine. And everything that comes 1 litre in the US is 750ml here in Canada! Hence why I got into homebrewing. You'd be hard pressed to find a 6 pack cans of beer for less than $10.

Airborneguy said:
$12 for mead, even if it is just decent, is a REALLY good price.

Ya well that's what i told my wife.... Buuut she's pregnant and can't drink so I just rather not get her going ya know... I can wait .

Very nice :) . We have about 3 more weeks till we know what were having. Got a boy an a girl already so ether one would be cool .

I wanted to try a commercial mead so I checked out my local World Market. I couldn't find any on the shelf so I asked an employee. He went in the back to ask the Liquor manager and she said she could take my name and number and would order some for me and call me when it was in.

I thought "yeah, right. they won't ever call". a week later she calls me up and tells me my mead is in. I head in there and pick up a bottle of Chaucers mead, reg price $11.99, on sale for $5.99!! nice! I haven't tried it yet since, funnily enough, my wife is preggers too and I wanted to sure it with her. But the little guy will be out soon enough and we'll give it a shot. Can't wait!

$12 for mead, even if it is just decent, is a REALLY good price. I'm going to have to check my Trader Joe's now to see if they have it!

Really? I feel fortunate then. Here in Indiana, we can get mead from Oliver Winery for about $6 a bottle. Haven't seen their straight mead in a while, but they have half a dozen fruit flavors (black cherry, strawberry, watermelon, passion fruit, mango, and one other that I don't recall right now).

Mead isn't common around here unfortunately. There is a great meadery in Upstate NY, but its liked 4 hours from me and doesn't distribute. Thankfully it's near my hunting grounds so I get their stuff a few times a year.

I wanted to try a commercial mead so I checked out my local World Market. I couldn't find any on the shelf so I asked an employee. He went in the back to ask the Liquor manager and she said she could take my name and number and would order some for me and call me when it was in.

I thought "yeah, right. they won't ever call". a week later she calls me up and tells me my mead is in. I head in there and pick up a bottle of Chaucers mead, reg price $11.99, on sale for $5.99!! nice! I haven't tried it yet since, funnily enough, my wife is preggers too and I wanted to sure it with her. But the little guy will be out soon enough and we'll give it a shot. Can't wait!

I hope you enjoy the Chaucers... My experience has been it's sulfited to death and tastes/smells like rotten eggs. Definitely not my cup of tea (or mead, as it were)

Scott

I hope you enjoy the Chaucers... My experience has been it's sulfited to death and tastes/smells like rotten eggs. Definitely not my cup of tea (or mead, as it were)

Scott

Yeah, by the time I got the Chaucers, I had read some not-so-favorable reviews on here by people who had tried it. But if it's all I can get, I'll give it a shot. I'll report back with my experience.

Mead isn't common around here unfortunately. There is a great meadery in Upstate NY, but its liked 4 hours from me and m doesn't distribute. Thankfully it's near my hunting grounds so I get their stuff a few times a year.

Are you talking about Earl Estates? I went there the last time I was in the area. I tried a bunch and left with 4 different kinds. They were all excellent!

I don't know the name, but I don't think that's the one. I wish I knew about that one last year though when I was touring wineries in that area! The one I'm referring to is somewhere between Ithaca and Sydney.

Congrats on the new peanut, Airborne. I know its a bit of a schlep, but you might want to call the Trader Joes in the Union Square area, they might be able to send it to the other TJ or... something.

As for Chaucers, my future m-i-l was very sweet and got me a bottle. Capers. First thing I got was this giant nose of capers. Capers don't smell as strong of capers. Ghastly. I gave it a sip and it was actually ok, though a bit sweet to my taste. I even let it sit out in the air for a while... but that big punch of capers was just too much. Dont tell my m-i-l... I wound up actually tossing it in the sink...

The mead that you saw in the Maine Trader Joes is called Honeymaker, made by Maine Mead Works. I have one of those long skinny bottles waiting for me tonight. The medery is located on Ocean Street in Portland. They are wonderful people who usually twist my arm until I sample some meads. They also offer tours.
http://mainemeadworks.com/

The mead at the Maine Trader Joes is called Honeymaker by Maine Mead Works. Their meadery is not far from Trader Joes.

Back