First try at making ginger beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isometric

Reaction score
This after noon am going to make ginger beer with this recipe:
-2 oz. grated ginger
-4 tsp. brown cane sugar
-30 oz. water
-4 oz. lemon juice
-1/16 tsp. bread yeast per bottle (2x 14oz soda bottle)

-Put water and ginger in a pot let it heat under boiling for 5-10 minutes
-Filter the grated ginger
-Add sugar and lemon juice and stir
-Let it cool until temperature is adecuate for adding yeast
-Pour into the bottles, add yeast to each bottle and close immediately

Anything I should change to make it better, besides besides getting a yeast that isn't bread yeast?

Also has anyone gotten good results stove top pasteurizing ginger beer?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

I would try doing it with ginger beer plant. From what I understand the end product is far superior. I just ordered my culture so can't say 100% that it is better. I have tried a similar recipe as the one one you are looking at and it really turns out like a hot ginger ale with some off fermentation flavors. BTW here is the place I bought my culture Ginger Beer plant

Stupid question but is this Ginger ale?
You know you say Tomato I say Tomoto type thing?

Ginger Beer = A cloudy, ginger flavored soft drink.
Ginger Ale = A clear, ginger flavored soft drink.
Ginger Stout = Any ginger ale/ginger beer that is fermented to produce alcohol.

I would try doing it with ginger beer plant. From what I understand the end product is far superior. I just ordered my culture so can't say 100% that it is better. I have tried a similar recipe as the one one you are looking at and it really turns out like a hot ginger ale with some off fermentation flavors. BTW here is the place I bought my culture Ginger Beer plant

I'm going to try next cultivating the yeasts that are naturally in the ginger, it should be better than using bread yeast.

I sanitized the bottles using a solution of one liter water and one tsp. 3% hydrogen peroxide and didn't rinse them, just dumped the solution out and left just some tiny droplets in the bottle. A day has passed since I started the fermentation and the bottles don't have any pressure, but there is a significant amount of yeast residue on the bottom of the bottle. Is it possible that the very minute amount of .015% hydrogen peroxide solotion left on the bottles might have killed or slowed down the yeast?

Stupid question but is this Ginger ale?
You know you say Tomato I say Tomoto type thing?

thanks I was wondering the same thing..........Im going to try ginger ale next........i made a traditional rootbeer this week using real sasafrass root that i dug last year some ginger root some vanilla, honey and liquirice root........it was a little on the weak side but my brother cant get enough of it anyway while I was grating the ginger root It made me think of vernors gingerale......

I tried the ginger beer and was disapointed, it was extremely spicy. Is there a way to make beer that isn't so spicy. Is it that I boiled the ginger too much or that I put too much ginger.

I dumped out some of the liquid of the remaining bottle and replaced it with a brown sugar syrup and let it ferment till the bottle was hard, then cooled it. This ginger beer was great. Only a little bit of spice, just enough sweetness, the ginger covered the yeast's flavor, lots of bubles, and it sort of tasted like a semi dry champagne with ginger being the dominant flavor.

Have you thought about for going the yeast and force carbing it? could be as simple as a 2ltr bottle and carbonator cap. Also if you like that not crazy spice ginger flavor you might try the stuff that Knome sells it is pretty good

I tried the ginger beer and was disapointed, it was extremely spicy. Is there a way to make beer that isn't so spicy. Is it that I boiled the ginger too much or that I put too much ginger.

Use less ginger, or use more water. I like the spicy, I use 1/2 lb of shredded ginger for 1 gallon of water when I make mine.

Back