New to the forum, looking for recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCardiffGiant

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and joined because I'm looking for a specific recipe.

I recently made a trip out to Michigan and tried Weihenstephaner Festbier for the first time, and loved it. I've tried to find this anywhere around where I live in the northeast around the NH/VT/MA area and can't seem to find it, so I figured I'd try to make something similar...

So, is anyone out there familiar with Weihenstephaner Festbier and could suggest a recipe?

Thanks!

I too have had it, and it is delicious. I'd imagine it's like any other oktoberfest beer recipe, except this one is blonde and all about the pilsner malt. Like a strong helles, but not all the way to helles-bock. I don't have beersmith on this computer so the measurements aren't exact, but It'd be something like:

11.5# German Pilsner Malt
1.5# Carafoam (whatever gets you to 1.056 -1.058 OG)

2oz hallertau at boil (whatever gets you to 20-22 IBU)

Mash 156 for 60 minutes, boil 90 minutes but only boil the hops 60 minutes, and don't even think about adding a late addition hop.

Ferment with plenty of German Lager yeast and enjoy!

PS. I hope you're just new to this forum and not brewing in general, German lagers are among the most difficult beers to brew. Even most American microbreweries can't get it right, German brews are very subtle and touchy. You must use European pilsner malt, and any off-flavors the yeast may produce will throw out a stonger flavor than that of the delicate pilsner malt you're trying to showcase. Good luck!

Mark's suggestions sound right on to me, although I might back down on the Carafoam to .75 lbs (with a mid-150s mash temp I don't think you'll need the extra body).

WLP820 Octoberfest/Marzen Lager is supposedly from Weihenstephan, so that would be a good choice (make a big starter, pitch at or below your fermentation temp, and give it a few weeks of lagering close to freezing before packaging.)

I was just seeking this recipe. I was told:

3lbs 12oz Pilsner
3lbs 12oz Munich
3lbs 12oz Vienna

60min Hallertau to 22 IBUs
OG 1.056
FG 1.014
5.7% ABV
Assuming 80% efficiency for 5 gallons. I plan on using a double decoction with a mash temp of 149.

You should update with results, I really want to brew this...except I just fractured my clavicle so it won't be for awhile. Bummer.

I was just seeking this recipe. I was told:

3lbs 12oz Pilsner
3lbs 12oz Munich
3lbs 12oz Vienna

60min Hallertau to 22 IBUs
OG 1.056
FG 1.014
5.7% ABV
Assuming 80% efficiency for 5 gallons. I plan on using a double decoction with a mash temp of 149.

You should update with results, I really want to brew this...except I just fractured my clavicle so it won't be for awhile. Bummer.

That looks like a recipe for a more common oktoberfest, the orange/amber colored kind.

I too have had it, and it is delicious. I'd imagine it's like any other oktoberfest beer recipe, except this one is blonde and all about the pilsner malt. Like a strong helles, but not all the way to helles-bock. I don't have beersmith on this computer so the measurements aren't exact, but It'd be something like:

11.5# German Pilsner Malt
1.5# Carafoam (whatever gets you to 1.056 -1.058 OG)

2oz hallertau at boil (whatever gets you to 20-22 IBU)

Mash 156 for 60 minutes, boil 90 minutes but only boil the hops 60 minutes, and don't even think about adding a late addition hop.

Ferment with plenty of German Lager yeast and enjoy!

PS. I hope you're just new to this forum and not brewing in general, German lagers are among the most difficult beers to brew. Even most American microbreweries can't get it right, German brews are very subtle and touchy. You must use European pilsner malt, and any off-flavors the yeast may produce will throw out a stonger flavor than that of the delicate pilsner malt you're trying to showcase. Good luck!

Yes, new to forums, not to brewing in general, but you're right, I'm in for a challenge I think. For some reason I really liked this beer and found it to be a particularly good marzen-type beer, maybe it's the specific kind of sweetness of the malt.

Anyway, thanks so much for this info. I probably won't try it until after thanksgiving, but I'll post with the results.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or additions???

Make a huge starter, keep the fermentation no higher than 50 degrees (the packet lies) and enjoy the challenge!@

Anyone ever get to have this fresh in Germany? Described as full bodied and hoppy! Looks like it's pretty light in color. A nice hoppy lager seems like it would be right up my alley. Also seems like only 60 minute additions would not make it hoppy. Thanks!

Back