Dried Elderflower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JZ_brewing

Reaction score
I just made a wheat beer and added 2 teaspoons of dried elderflower during the last 15 mins of the boil. I am wondering if this is enough elderflower given that I was unable to weigh it. Anyone have any idea if it will be noticeable? If not, could I am more later like a dry hop?

2 tsps is not much at all.
But it really depends what the rest of your recipe is like. How much hopping, whats the malt profile, gravity?

I've never brewed with it but I bet it would go great with an IPA that has lots of citrusy hops in it. Elderflower has a grapefruit flavor to it doesn't it? My only experience with it is the liquor St. Germaine which is made from elderflower. Goes great in margaritas or even gin and tonics.

The best way to know also is to make a tea. And then upscale from there.
Yes, you can dry hop with the elderflower. You are just making a giant cup of tea.

The best way to know also is to make a tea. And then upscale from there.
Yes, you can dry hop with the elderflower. You are just making a giant cup of tea.

Upscale?

And ya i was thinking i would just steep an ounce more and the strain the liquid into my fermenter once it has cooled. Should I wait for primary fermentation to finish before doing this or just go for it?

By Upscale I mean steep a certain amount in 8oz of water (or better beer after you primary so you know how it will mix with the malt and hops). Start low and keep adding until you are satisfied with the flavor contribution.

Once you are satisfied with the ratio,and doing it by volume instead of weight.
.5 tsp per 8 oz was what you liked. So 5 gals is 640 oz or 80 * 8oz so you will need 40 tsp. The same philosophy works with all additions (This is how I get the right amount of spice and fruit in my beers)

And yes it is recommended to wait till after primary fermentation. The reason for this is that elderberrry flower is mainly added for its aroma just like dry hops and the CO2 generated during primary fermentation will drive much of that off.

Latest posts

Back