Diet Pepsi in Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdave

Reaction score
I've been thinking of setting up my kegerator and such, and because I am a cheap skate, I have been considering the best possible deal I can find on corny kegs. Also because I am a cheap skate, I like to get all the Diet Pepsi I drink as cheaply as possible.

I started thinking that buying it in bulk would be cheaper than cans, etc. So I contacted the local Pepsi distributor. I asked about buying both empty corny kegs and full kegs of premixed soda. The guy basically told me that they would sell me a keg full of pop for $15 or 20 (can't remember for sure the price). And then I could "just not return the empty cannister". I could hear the 'wink wink, nudge nudge' through the phone. He said he figured that would be my best bet for getting cannisters.

Anyway, I know that the setup for dispensing premix is very similar to beer, but I was wondering if anyone has added a premix corny keg to their kegerator, and if they pour the soda through the same type of faucet as beer.

For $15 I would buy the thing and try it with a cobra tap or something. Hell, if it doesn't work you've still just bought a corny for $15!

Maybe Pepsi is trying to get rid of their kegs. Most restaurants and other fountain drink vendors are using bag-in-a-box these days.

I'm surprised they'll sell you a keg of pop. I didn't think they'd sell direct to non-commercial accounts (i.e. regular people).

Sounds like a good deal. Ask the guy what pressure to dispense at.

You can serve soda, wine, beer, cider, and other common tap beverages through stainless beer faucets. Plastic is safe for acidic beverages too. The relatively high acid content of soda means you should probably not use chrome plated brass faucets. They're really not all that good for beer either.

I found a site that listed the acidity of Diet Pepsi at ph 3.031. Coke was listed at 2.525 ph, regular Pepsi at 2.530. Beer is usually around ph 4.

Personally, I wouldn't use anything but stainless steel or plastic for dispensing acidic beverages of any kind.

The only places I can find soda in kegs now are the beverage companies that still stock rc cola and other 7up products, those can sometimes come in corny's if you request it, everything else we get now at all of our outlets at work are all BiB

I keep a keg of premixed Rum & Coke on tap at all times for SWMBO, as well as a keg of carbonated water for mixing sodas on the spot (I have a couple different soda syrups in the 1 oz condiment dispenser pumps you see at the ball park).

I have a second regulator for the soda stuff set at 35psi with 35/40 feet of 3/16 beer line going to $15 chrome beer faucets. They dispense perfectly every time, SWMBO loves the premix drink since the rum is carbonated too, her drink doesn't end up flat after a couple minutes. And since the whole mix is chilled to serving temp, it doesn't melt the ice and water down.

And before anyone asks, no the rum does not seperate out. The drink remains the same first to last.

I keep a keg of premixed Rum & Coke on tap at all times for SWMBO, as well as a keg of carbonated water for mixing sodas on the spot (I have a couple different soda syrups in the 1 oz condiment dispenser pumps you see at the ball park).

I have a second regulator for the soda stuff set at 35psi with 35/40 feet of 3/16 beer line going to $15 chrome beer faucets. They dispense perfectly every time, SWMBO loves the premix drink since the rum is carbonated too, her drink doesn't end up flat after a couple minutes. And since the whole mix is chilled to serving temp, it doesn't melt the ice and water down.

And before anyone asks, no the rum does not seperate out. The drink remains the same first to last.

Why do you have a second regulator and long lines for the soda? It is my understanding that longer lines are used to reduce the pressure at the faucet. So why not have shorter lines and use the beer serving pressure?

Do you have your co2 hooked up to first the soda regulator with the pressure out lines, and then one of those into the beer regulator set at the lower pressure?

I do like the idea of carbonating my own water for mixing and such.

At beer pressure, soda seems flat. The longer lines are to balance the higher carbonation pressure. With the 35psi carbonation and 40 foot lines o get a slightly slower than optimum beer pour, which is perfect for soda as it doesn't knock a lot of the CO2 out of suspension going through the faucet. Makes for a perfect soda pour with minimal foaming in the glass.

Why do you have a second regulator and long lines for the soda? It is my understanding that longer lines are used to reduce the pressure at the faucet. So why not have shorter lines and use the beer serving pressure?

Do you have your co2 hooked up to first the soda regulator with the pressure out lines, and then one of those into the beer regulator set at the lower pressure?

I do like the idea of carbonating my own water for mixing and such.

Oops, missed the second part of your question. Looking at the face of a regulator you should see either 4 or 5 ports around the outside edge of the body. Fitted into those ports are your gas in, regulated gas pressure out, a gauge showing your regulated pressure, a tank pressure gauge(or brass plug) and possibly a safety. The tank pressure gauge port is a straight thru to the gas inlet, I have a 3000 psi nipple installed there which connects to the gas in of the next regulator.

At beer pressure, soda seems flat. The longer lines are to balance the higher carbonation pressure. With the 35psi carbonation and 40 foot lines o get a slightly slower than optimum beer pour, which is perfect for soda as it doesn't knock a lot of the CO2 out of suspension going through the faucet. Makes for a perfect soda pour with minimal foaming in the glass.

So if I didn't mind having long beer lines, would it work to have everything set at 35 PSI then? Or do you think I would run the risk of overcarbonating the beer? (As I type this I'm thinking probably so...)

So if I didn't mind having long beer lines, would it work to have everything set at 35 PSI then? Or do you think I would run the risk of overcarbonating the beer? (As I type this I'm thinking probably so...)

Your beer would come out like Duvel x200. Masive foam only. The protiens that aare responsible for head retention in beer are much more stable than the sugar that contributes surface tension in soda. Therefore your beer bubbles will form far faster than they can pop if carbed @ 35psi. In soda however that massive carbonation is what gives you that tickly nose.

Evening all,
I'm brand new to this but reading and researching does have its worth.
I just picked up a 3 head Cornelius counter type premix fountain. Now I just have low use desires for fun and show - nothing exotic. If I can grab a Stainless Steel canister, can these be opened up and just filled from store bought 32oz bottles, then sealed and the CO2 used to just deliver the soda. It appears that the canisters are just filled not under substantial pressure. If I'm full of it, sorry but its just a thought.
Thanks for any info
Jack

Evening all,
I'm brand new to this but reading and researching does have its worth.
I just picked up a 3 head Cornelius counter type premix fountain. Now I just have low use desires for fun and show - nothing exotic. If I can grab a Stainless Steel canister, can these be opened up and just filled from store bought 32oz bottles, then sealed and the CO2 used to just deliver the soda. It appears that the canisters are just filled not under substantial pressure. If I'm full of it, sorry but its just a thought.
Thanks for any info
Jack

Hey, good thought!
Now, experts...how will it work?

Or do I have to get Jack back to work on this?

Back