something besides cobra taps.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Just learned, and read from others, that those cobra taps will leak, drip and burp. Hate getting the brew on the carpet. If SWMBO finds out, I'll be cleaning the carpet. Is there something else that would work on the corny kegs? I got mine in a 4912 so putting a tap handle on it won't work. Also, have any of you had your blow off while still under pressure???

I have not had any leaks from mine either. Just let them drip into the glass after you pour a beer. The only real drawback from me is having to open the fridge each time I want a beer.

Well, maybe I didn't describe my situation exactly, they really don't leak. I guess dripping is the more precise term. Plus, when you unscrew them, there really isn't a lot of material holding in all that beer, just wondering how long they will actually hold out. Is there anything better out there???

A 2-tap tower bolted on the top. It looks pretty and its an easy conversion (if you can swing the tower, I had to really convice my wife to let me do that, we're poor)

Ol' Grog said:
Just learned, and read from others, that those cobra taps will leak, drip and burp. Hate getting the brew on the carpet. If SWMBO finds out, I'll be cleaning the carpet. Is there something else that would work on the corny kegs? I got mine in a 4912 so putting a tap handle on it won't work. Also, have any of you had your blow off while still under pressure???

Treat it like Little Grog - One shake is enough, but more than that and you're just playing with it.

Put a tower on it. You can find them used on Craigs list or eBay. I sold mine with a faucet for $45.

I only use Cobra's extra kegs at Home Brew Events and for cleaning keg lines.

I have four cobras and haven't had a problem with them blowing off. As far as dripping, sounds like you just have to wait a little longer after shutting the tap off. There really isn't any alternative short of putting taps on your kegger & they also drip.

I guess I read from another brethren that had a cobra tap pop off the keg itself. But he did say there were a lot of people using it and maybe it just got twisted or something. Appreciate the reply's. Tower is out, not in the immeadiate future.

Where do you set the tap when finished pouring from inside the refrigerator? Just lay it on top of the kegs? Have a small plastic container or something?

Ol' Grog said:
Where do you set the tap when finished pouring from inside the refrigerator? Just lay it on top of the kegs? Have a small plastic container or something?

I turn the thumb-lever so that it is perpendicular to the outlet and then just hang the tap on it's respective keg.

You know, here's an opportunity for some enterprising soul to make a milllllllllllllllllion dollars in the beverage dispensing business. They could start with homebrewers, then microbreweries, then spread to bars. After that market is saturated, they could go after the soft drink market to do restaurants all over the world.

Somebody should invent something for the normal drips to fall into after you pour a beer or a soft drink. It could a box, or a pan, or a trough, or wait I HAVE IT! A tray!

They could call it a DRIP TRAY!!!!!!

Na, it'll never catch on. Never mind.:cross:

Those ain't cheap. Think I'll just scour the tupperware cabinent when the wife isn't looking and find a thin one that would fit between the kegs and kegerator.

Latest posts

Back