Help a guy out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
I am teaching some folks how to brew in College Station today, and we were going to use Charlie Papa's All grain hefe.

However, I somehow left the book at home (DOH!)

I just realized I have the ingredients here, but no recipe.

Could someone PM me the grain bill and the hops schedule from Charlie's CJOH 3rd edition? It's in the all grain section.

I would really appriciate it.

1st Lesson: Brewday preparedness. Make a list and check it twice then you'll you'll know if your beer will be naughty or nice.

Sorry couldn't help it. That's all the help I can give.

This is no slight on CP but, I think after I read Noonan, Daniels, and Markowski I used TCJOHB to keep my bookshelf from wobbling. A good book for sure but, outdated IMO.

I expected at least one ridicule. I deserve it.

We arn't scheduled to start for another 5 hours when everyone else gets here, so I think I have plenty of prep / planning time available.

If no one can help out, I guess I can run down to B&N and see if they have a copy.

If nothing else, look through the recipe section here in HBT. A hefe is a pretty straight forward beer, IMO at least.

I think it would be very easy to take the cues from the recipe and substitute your own reality with respect to available grain amounts and hop selection but, chances are you'll find something pretty similar to what you had planned and your "students" will be non-the wiser.

There is a Dark or Bavarian Wheat Beer. I guess that is what you are asking for. Page 298

7 lbs pale malted barley
(or for dunkel weizen: 4 lbs. pale malt and 3 lbs. Munich malt

3 lbs. wheat malt
(for dunkel weizen: 2 oz. German Caraffe black malt)

3/4 oz. Hallertauer hops (boiling) 3.5 HBU
1/4 oz. Hallertauer hops (aroma)
1/4 tsp. Iriish Moss

Bavarian wheat ale yeast

O.G. 1.048 - 1.052
12 IBU Color 6 SRM

I am at home let me know if there is anything else needed.

That was the one I have the ingrediants for.

Ed, I thought about using your recipe, but I don't have enough wheat malt.

Once again, Brewtalk comes through to save the day when a green brewer needs some help. You guys are the best.

Back