What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale.

This is what I think of when I think of "beer". It's the essence of generic.

Squatters Outer Darkness Russian Imperial Stout, soooooo good.

Accidently spilt a glass of Reverb Imperial Pilsner before this, soooooo sad.

Figueroa Mountain Big Cone, was supposedly a black IPA, which is a silly idea to begin with, by using roasted malts which are by no means pale, but I bought a growler, and am thinking I received their porter, there is by no standard a hop to be detected in the aroma. I love this brewery, and they are a staple to the central coast, but this left me confused.

Hulud said:
Am I the only person who thinks this beer is only average at best?

It's better than average. Quite good actually... You just have to accept the fact that it is falsely advertised as an IPA. It is neither very bitter, or possessing hop aroma. It is more like a very biscuity American Barleywine.

bottlebomber said:
It's better than average. Quite good actually... You just have to accept the fact that it is falsely advertised as an IPA. It is neither very bitter, or possessing hop aroma. It is more like a very biscuity American Barleywine.

Nail on the head.

just had a Union Jack, always a big fan, but this bomber had a bad taste. had the same thing happen with a Karl Strauss Tower 20 a month ago. So how often do you get a bad bottle of craft brew?

Homebrewed Jamils Evil Twin (extract). Brewed this 6 months ago and today found a six pack in a box in the basement. It has become a truly amazing brew. Great bitterness, good hop flavor. Definitely brewing this again

Nail on the head.

Meh, it's more of a very beery sherry (that I think is a minor masterpiece, so don't get me wrong).

I finally kicked my keg of CMC/Spalt Select pilsner and moved onto the Gambrinus/Spalt Select maibock/pils-and-a-half. The hopping is a little too front-loaded (48 IBU @60), but it's a quaffable ~7%.

2308 gets to stay as my house strain, since it pulled those two batches back from an icky apparent pedio bug.

Fuller's 1845. Really well made as you expect from Fuller's. They're like an English Sierra Nevada; not known for crazy beers but always have solid offerings in some classic styles.

DisturbdChemist said:
Well for something you never see around where I am. I'm thrilled I got a few bottles to age and give/share with friends and family.

I'm a fan of big beers especially bourbon age ones. This one I enjoy and interested to see how it ages. I don't care if other people think its average at best.

I would like to apologize, it was not the 120 I had.

I actually had the 90. Which I don't find all that amazing

Batch 19 after a big wtf? when I picked it up,I finally found who made it in small print on the bottom of the carrier..-Coors. Not bad but sweet(it even lingered),-full body with big noble notes.Probably their best beer. Kinda cool it was a pre-prohabition lager old recipe. It kinda tasted like my first lager but mine not as sweet or nobel hop grassy and I liked mine way better :)

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. 102 ibu? I don't know, my teeth aren't squeaking. Really nice beer.

Hulud said:
I would like to apologize, it was not the 120 I had.

I actually had the 90. Which I don't find all that amazing

I don't mind the 90 or 120 on occasion but I do think they falsely advertise- they are far too cloying to be an IPA and they don't have the right hop bouquet.

Stone IPA bottled just two weeks ago...as good as it gets after draft..yum I love working in a beer distributor

Bomber Sunday=Rough Monday.

image-3711045602.jpg

My Honeyweizen. I did get to visit 3F this weekend though and pick up some really fantastic beers. I got Zombie Dust, Robert the Bruce, Gumballhead, Arctic Panzer Wolf, Dreadnaught, and Jinx Proof. I wish I would have picked up a second 6pk of Robert the Bruce instead of Jinx Proof.

120 Minute IPA average?!? There's nothing average about that beer: high hoppiness, high sweetness, deceptively high alcohol and very expensive. I think it's fantastic, but I'll probably only drink 10 of them in my lifetime.

Just finished a homebrewed Surly Furious. At 7 weeks, it's still too piney and grapefruit-y for me.

New Belgum "Shift", and I'm sooo happy I can get it here in Michigan now. My next step is to try and clone it, but first I need to do research, and then find a way to start lagering...

SpikeBrewing said:
I was in LA for the week and picked up a sixer of this:

Rally good!

And a sixer of this:

Underwhelmed with this one

Neither of those are an accurate way to judge either brewery.

Club soda (i.e. carbonated tap water). My fat gut ballooned out forty pounds over the last 6 months due to me drinking 3-4 homebrews a day, every day. Need to get my carbonation fix without the calories.

So far I've had a New Belgium Abbey, home brewed 'merica IPA (finally starting to taste awesome), and the leftovers from bottling my Pumpkin Guts Imperial Pumpkin Ale. :D

DFH 90 Minute IIPA. ****in' A I forgot how good this beer is. Yeah, they're crazy brew reputation is kind of overrated, but their core beers are damn good.

Back