Questions about mashtuns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMista

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking to try an all grain brew so I need to build a mash tun. The thing is that I am pretty confused about what size I should get. I do 5 gallon batches and really do not plan on brewing more than that at one time. I would like to get a mash tun that will support all types of beer (high gravity) for a 5 gallon batch. I also want to be able to maximize my efficiency.

Would a 10 gallon beverage cooler be big enough to mash any type of beer when making a 5 gallon batch? Or should I look into a larger rectangular cooler. I assume that I will need to fly sparge if I get a 10 gallon beverage cooler, because it wouldn't be large enough for a batch sparge. If I choose to fly sparge would I have to buy a second cooler to be able to hold the hot water pouring into the top of the grain bed?

I want to be able to get a really cheap cooler to be able to do this. Because of that would I be better off buying a larger rectangular cooler to do a batch sparge rather than a fly sparge?

Thanks for any help, I realize that a lot of these questions are probably pretty fundamental.

I do 5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon cool. Double batch sparge. A 10 gallon round cooler is perfect or even a bit large for most any 5 gallon brews. Bigger than that and you'll have problems regulating temps because of all the deadspace.

I just built a 10 gallon tun for about $80 (home depot) and love it. Plenty of room for bigger beers.

Perfect, I will probably go with the 10 gallon beverage cooler because it seems much easier to transform into a mashtun. Now I just need to watch some videos on batch sparging...

I have used a 48 qt. rectangular cooler for 424 batches. I can do 10 gal. up to 1.050 and 5 gal. up to 1.100. I get between 80-85% efficiency with a single batch sparge.

The 10 gallon is great for 5 gal batches. It's big enough to do high gravity 5 gallon batches. I batch sparge. a 5 gallon cooler would be really tight for high gravity brews.

Yeah a 10 gallon round cooler is a little more versatile than a 5 gallon.Save yourself from buying twice and go with the 10 gal. round

I use what Denny uses, although I'm about 400 batches behind. Rectangular coolers are much cheaper than round ones and don't have the same issues with grain compaction. I'm not sure why more people don't use them. If it's good enough for Denny...

I use a 10g round for biab. Used it to do 10g of mild last month. Worked great. I also have a 52 qt rectangular with a manifold. The biab aspect makes the round my preferred choice, but if I do 10g of a moderate gravity brew, I need the rectangular cooler.

I went 10gal rectangular because I had one - most I saw when researching are round, but I've been very satisfied with mine. And I imagine the manifold is easier to make for rectangular coolers. Attached is a photo of mine, the manifold isn't glued so I can disassemble it and it cleans up nicely. I collect 6.5 to 7gal of wort using use the basic batch method - mash then sparge, and the efficiency is great. 10gal is the right size for 5 gal (finished product) batches. I don't think it matters at all what type of cooler you use as long as it is insulated and will fit a screen or manifold.

Steve

mashtun.jpg

I went 10gal rectangular because I had one - most I saw when researching are round, but I've been very satisfied with mine. And I imagine the manifold is easier to make for rectangular coolers. Attached is a photo of mine, the manifold isn't glued so I can disassemble it and it cleans up nicely. I collect 6.5 to 7gal of wort using use the basic batch method - mash then sparge, and the efficiency is great. 10gal is the right size for 5 gal (finished product) batches. I don't think it matters at all what type of cooler you use as long as it is insulated and will fit a screen or manifold.

Steve

Do you happen to have the parts list for that manifold? It looks nice and cheap (but functional).

From the home improvement store:
- 1 1" PVC water pipe (make sure it's water supply piping and not the standard white drain pipe)
- 5 T connectors
- 4 L/corner connectors
- threaded pipe connector to go through the cooler - you'll need to figure out which works for you, there should be a variety of connectors in the store. The pipe should fit snugly inside either end.
- a valve
- an L/corner connector that fits the valve to connect to the downspout

I used a radial saw to cut the slits in my pipe, though drilled holes would work well too.
I had to make a bend in the pipe because the manifold sits lower than the through-connector. I used a plumbing torch, though any decent open flame should work - I slowly heated a section of pipe until it became flexible, then bent it a bit. It took a couple tries to get it just right.
I couldn't find a decent nipple for the hose - the outside diameter of my runoff hose is slightly larger than the inside diameter of the pipe, so I took a small stone grinding drill bit and routed out the inside of the small piece of pipe that serves as the downspout, so my hose fits tightly inside.

Make sure you leave some space around the manifold so that you'll be able to stir the mash around it to prevent dry spots.

IMG_9523.jpg

try bargain fittings .com they have really cheap set ups for cooler and 5$ flat rate shipping they sell all home brew fittings for mash tuns and kettles.

mikeysab said:
I use a 10g round for biab. Used it to do 10g of mild last month. Worked great. I also have a 52 qt rectangular with a manifold. The biab aspect makes the round my preferred choice, but if I do 10g of a moderate gravity brew, I need the rectangular cooler.

If you're doing BIAB why do you need a cooler?

divrguy said:
If you're doing BIAB why do you need a cooler?

I can't speak for that post but I also use a cooler for biab. I like the coolers ability to hold the temp. I find it easier than holding temp with my brew pot.

Cooler holds temps without having to wrap it in blankets. I don't do full volume, so I mash in the cooler and dunk sparge in my bk. Works great this way. I get consistant efficiency around 80 percent.

Uconnrh11 said:
I can't speak for that post but I also use a cooler for biab. I like the coolers ability to hold the temp. I find it easier than holding temp with my brew pot.

mikeysab said:
Cooler holds temps without having to wrap it in blankets. I don't do full volume, so I mash in the cooler and dunk sparge in my bk. Works great this way. I get consistant efficiency around 80 percent.

Well I guess I am lucky. My pot holds within 2 degrees without heat by just adding a few towels.

From the home improvement store:
- 1 1" PVC water pipe (make sure it's water supply piping and not the standard white drain pipe)
- 5 T connectors
- 4 L/corner connectors
- threaded pipe connector to go through the cooler - you'll need to figure out which works for you, there should be a variety of connectors in the store. The pipe should fit snugly inside either end.
- a valve
- an L/corner connector that fits the valve to connect to the downspout

I used a radial saw to cut the slits in my pipe, though drilled holes would work well too.
I had to make a bend in the pipe because the manifold sits lower than the through-connector. I used a plumbing torch, though any decent open flame should work - I slowly heated a section of pipe until it became flexible, then bent it a bit. It took a couple tries to get it just right.
I couldn't find a decent nipple for the hose - the outside diameter of my runoff hose is slightly larger than the inside diameter of the pipe, so I took a small stone grinding drill bit and routed out the inside of the small piece of pipe that serves as the downspout, so my hose fits tightly inside.

Make sure you leave some space around the manifold so that you'll be able to stir the mash around it to prevent dry spots.

I realize this is an old post, but I wanted to give you a big thanks for a very well thought out and executed mash tun. I'm still trying to decide on rectangular vs. round. Do you find that this type of manifold leaves much liquid behind in the tubes, or at the end of your drain, do you tilt it up to get out the last few ounces?

Back