Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here she is. Hopefully ready in 4 hours.

I hope this works out. Quite an investment of time and a few bucks. I'll be back with the final product.

ForumRunner_20110708_144052.jpg

IrregularPulse said:
regardless, you have cooked meat. How bad could it be!

Good point and I have yet to take anything off the smoker that was not good. I'm getting hungry...no food yet today. Is there a proper term for the fast before the feast?

I think I would too. First time indecision...the mop is also meant to be a sauce so maybe I'll save it for that.

From what I've read the consensus seems to be fat up, no foil, no flipping and 225 for a long time. Does that sound right? I have a 13 pounder and was leaving an hour 15/pound for smoking with at least an hour rest.

I have mesquite and apple.....preference?

Thanks in advance.

For Brisket it's fat side down. Every one thinks that the brisket will absorb the fat if it is on top but it is just an old wives tail. The reason most go fat side down is because the fat cap will protect the bottom side of the brisket from direct heat so the brisket will cook more evenly. It is difficult to time a brisket every one cooks differently depending on the fat content of the brisket. Cook the brisket unitl you have 190* internal as measured with a good meat thermometer. Pull and foil the brisket and place into a warm cooler. When you remove the brisket it will be a 200* and holding. It will cook another 10* in the foil in the cooler and be very juicy.

Sawdustguy said:
For Brisket it's fat side down. Every one thinks that the brisket will absorb the fat if it is on top but it is just an old wives tail. The reason most go fat side down is because the fat cap will protect the bottom side of the brisket from direct heat so the brisket will cook more evenly.

Thanks but too late. Your explanation seems to make more sense though. I guess I'll have to adjust next time.

Well I have two massive butts on. 12lbs each. I have never seen any close to this big before but I wasn't the one that bought them. It sucks because I am going to have to jack up the temp and probably foil too to get them done in time.

I go fatside up on everything (maybe next brisket i'll try fatside down...). One iddy bitty 7.5 lb picnic on right now. 3 homebrews down and only 10 or so hours to go.

Well I have two massive butts on. 12lbs each. I have never seen any close to this big before but I wasn't the one that bought them. It sucks because I am going to have to jack up the temp and probably foil too to get them done in time.

Did you consider cutting them in half?

I thought about it, but decided against it because I would have wanted to debone them and much prefer to cook bone in.

It actually came out ok. A little more mushy than I would have like by by bumping the temp and foiling I was able to get it off the pit in 16 hours.

Broke in my UDS today with a chicken, a small cut of shoulder and some ABT's (I modified the recipe).
Everyone is pleased, including me I don't know how I've lived without a UDS. :drunk:
Anyhow pr0n or didn't happen:

UDS:
267553_10150331077378273_602223272_9495599_7042850_n.jpg

Chicken and pork on:
269582_10150335009488273_602223272_9529229_3897723_n.jpg

ABT's:
261319_10150335062393273_602223272_9529835_545559_n.jpg

Chicken:
283932_10150335125548273_602223272_9530379_4572698_n.jpg

Pulled pork:
284377_10150335128973273_602223272_9530408_8270848_n.jpg

Enjoy.

I have resurrected my brinkmann gas smoker, so I'll be trying some pork ribs for the first time this weekend.

technically i tried to do them with indirect heat on my gas grill a month ago, but it was mostly fail, so this is round 2 but done properly.

Last week I did another round of ABTs for a party, but someone else had brought some smoked chicken wings to that party that were pretty tasty, so I think I will try that this weekend. Maybe I will make up a hot sauce to toss them in, too.

Oh and I am going to do a brisket pretty soon too. I have next week off so maybe sometime Monday or something.

I've got 3lbs of pork, caked in my dry rub, waiting for daylight. I learned a few things last weekend from the owner/chef/crazy-bastard where my girlfriend works and I can't wait to fire up my crappy brinkman R2D2 tomorrow morning.

got 2 racks of ribs in dry rub already, and 5 lbs of chicken breast marinating or ready for conversion to grilled chicken/bacon/cheese wraps

...uh....is, this the..."Who's smoking we'd this weekend?" thread....??? U...uhh...oh, sh*t..this is the "Who's smoking meat this weekend?" thread.....uh...yeah, like food's good and sh*t....I like it. .........meat.

weirdboy said:
Last week I did another round of ABTs for a party, but someone else had brought some smoked chicken wings to that party that were pretty tasty, so I think I will try that this weekend. Maybe I will make up a hot sauce to toss them in, too.

Oh and I am going to do a brisket pretty soon too. I have next week off so maybe sometime Monday or something.

Wings are awesome on the smoker. I make them quite often for something quick. Yeah, make a sauce. Mmmmm.....

Im smoking 4 butts and a bunch of chicken for the family tomorrow. Might make some ABT's as well.

My brother did a venison pastrami once. It was great. What meat are you using and what's your method?

Beef brisket. Venison sounds really good though!

I brine it for 3-4 days with the standard salt/brown sugar/pink salt and pickling spices + allspice and crushed red pepper. Then I cover it in cracked pepper and coriander and wrap it up in plastic overnight before smoking. I just have a Weber, so I stop up all the bottom vents and use the biggest piece of lump charcoal I can find, with a pie tin full of cherry chips on top. Works pretty well- I can usually keep it about 225 degrees with good smoke. I can't wait to build an actual smoker though.

dwarven_stout said:

I brine it for 3-4 days with the standard salt/brown sugar/pink salt and pickling spices + allspice and crushed red pepper. Then I cover it in cracked pepper and coriander and wrap it up in plastic overnight before smoking. I just have a Weber, so I stop up all the bottom vents and use the biggest piece of lump charcoal I can find, with a pie tin full of cherry chips on top. Works pretty well- I can usually keep it about 225 degrees with good smoke. I can't wait to build an actual smoker though.

Sounds like my next project. Post some pics when she's done!

Sounds like my next project. Post some pics when she's done!

i buy the corned beef briskets. it's prebrined to a nice level. from there the process is the same. i would like to go through the process, but the corned briskets are way cheaper, and half the work.

i buy the corned beef briskets. it's prebrined to a nice level. from there the process is the same. i would like to go through the process, but the corned briskets are way cheaper, and half the work.

I get the brisket every time it goes on sale at the local resteraunt supply place. $1.99 for Choice-grade Angus is fine by me, and it's less fatty than getting the $1.49 corned beef at the post-St. Patty's sale. I always split the brisket and make corned beef from the flat and pastrami from the point.

doing 4 racks of St Louis Cut Ribs with all the enders just got done rubbing them down with my magic dust and they will go into the smoker about 9 tomorrow morning

Three full racks of ribs and three turkey legs on my Master Forge gas smoker from Lowes. I'm doing the 3_2_1 method for the ribs and experimenting with the turkey legs.

Whatever happens with the turkey legs, edible straight or not, I'll have a delicious starter for some greens. or maybe a turkey and bean soup.

ForumRunner_20110717_111408.jpg

Back