Cleaning and Sanitizing Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm

Reaction score
I often find it a chore if not impossible to clean the hose I use for racking my beer. I have a beer line cleaner (the brush on a wire) which works ok but it's quite cumbersome and doesn't do a great job. I've been soaking them in sanitizer but that sometimes leaves a milky residue on the hose? (i imagine from eating away at the hose it self. which is even more of a chore to get cleaned. So how do the pros go about cleaning their hoses? run boiling water thru them? dishwasher? all help would be greatly appreciated.

Oxyclean followed by StarSan. Or with my Silicone hoses I can go the extra step of boiling or baking in the oven. But hose for racking beer is really pretty cheap and I replace frequently.

I've been replacing them pretty often, but thought that there was a more economical way? i guess maybe switch to silicone for racking so i can boil/bake them?

I find it to be a pain as well, in fact with my new setup I hope to eliminate siphoning all together. Although I guess I'd still need a hos from the better bottle tap to bottom of keg.

I use a quick starsan soak and then a rinse. Occasionally I'll use the wire brush if needed.

I think the long soak is your problem. Also, cleaning the tubing right after using it, and then letting it dry should help. Oxyclean or Beer line cleaner (a chemical, not a brush) followed by starsan and hang to dry should be all you need.

Back