which yeasts to have on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which yeast to have on hand?

• Redstar Côte des Blancs

• Redstar Pasteur Champagne

• Redstar Premier Cuvee

• Redstar Montrachet

• Redstar Pasteur Red®

• Lalvin K1V-1116

• Lalvin EC-1118

• Lalvin 71B-1122

• Lalvin D-47

• Lalvin RC-212

Results are only viewable after voting.

lordbeermestrength

Reaction score
I have a gift certificate that I plan on buying my next batch of beer with, but I also would like to get into meads more. I will have about 7 bucks left over and I figure I can buy some dry yeasts, but I don't know what are good ones to have on hand.

I know I want to have the montrachet for ciders/cysers (from what it looks like people are posting), is there a few others that I should have?

Here is what I have to choose from:

Redstar
Côte des Blancs
Pasteur Champagne
Premier Cuvee
Montrachet
Pasteur Red®

Lalvin
K1V-1116
EC-1118
71B-1122
D-47
RC-212

Any thoughts?

In my fridge right now, I have all the Lalvin strains you listed, and Pasteur Champagne,
Premier Cuvee & Montrachet. But that's just me.

I've done 2 with 71-B and 2 with D-47. I really can't tell you the differences because they were different recipes. Maybe I should make some 1 gallon batches with different yeasts...

I allways keep at least 3 packets of D-47 and Ec-1118 and one Pasteur Champagne on hand in my wine closet. But thats just me.

Well I can only choose one in the poll, so not sure what to do with that, but I voted for D47. But I personally keep Redstar Premier Cuvee, Lalvin EC-1118, Lalvin 71B-1122, and Lalvin D-47. I have been told of 71b's ability to provide and maintain a fruitier edge and aroma, so I use that when applicable. But I consider that a decent range of yeast choices.

Well, since I could only choose 1 to vote on, I had to go with D-47. It's a very forgiving yeast, tolerates a wide range of conditions & has consitantly given me good results. My 2nd choice would've been the K1v-1116, but it's 2nd only because most of the time I don't want my end product to be that dry, or have that high an ABV. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Back