2012 vs. 2013 Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I am putting together an order at Farmhouse Brew Supply for hops. I like to buy a couple pounds of hops, store in the freezer, and vacuum seal leftovers and I go.

There is a significant price difference between the 2013 pre-order and the 2012 stock. I am considering ordering some 2012 hops along with my 2013 pre-order.

I figure farmhouse takes good care of their stock, and I do a good job as well (although I don't flush with nitrogen). If I order some 2012 hops, will they be fine to use through 2014?

For what its worth, I plan to order pellets.

I buy lots of hops in bulk. Whenever I crack the original package, I then store them in CO2 flushed mason jars in my freezer. 1 lb of pellets fits about perfect in a 1 qt mason jar. I am brewing with hops from the 2011 harvest yet this year and they still smell great. The key is cold and no oxygen. I have read a few places that hop pellets will keep 3-4 years when stored this way.

Back