Lower Attenuation = sweeter cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliu630

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I jsut finished making my hard cider and it turned out dryer than i expected. I was thinking next time I can pick an ale yeast that has lower attenuation so less sugar would b converted to alcohol therefore making it somewhat sweeter. Would this work? Is there any yeast that you guys can recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help!

aliu630 said:
Hi Guys,

I jsut finished making my hard cider and it turned out dryer than i expected. I was thinking next time I can pick an ale yeast that has lower attenuation so less sugar would b converted to alcohol therefore making it somewhat sweeter. Would this work? Is there any yeast that you guys can recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Well, I am not sure. I am going to post some results soon from my yeast experiment. What I seem to have found, at least in the case with fresh pressed unpasteurized cider, is that the Ale, Wine and Natural yeasts have all put the gravity down to 1.001. The only real difference I have noticed is slightly different (although not terribly much so far) flavor profiles and flocculation properties (obviously). That and the first yeast to finish out was the Ale, followed by the Wine and lastly the Natural yeast.

So for sweeter, at least in my experience with this test, is that you'd probably have to kill the yeast and back sweeten. Or how about adding a touch of syrup at serving time? You could experiment easily.

zoebisch01 said:
Well, I am not sure. I am going to post some results soon from my yeast experiment. What I seem to have found, at least in the case with fresh pressed unpasteurized cider, is that the Ale, Wine and Natural yeasts have all put the gravity down to 1.001. The only real difference I have noticed is slightly different (although not terribly much so far) flavor profiles and flocculation properties (obviously). That and the first yeast to finish out was the Ale, followed by the Wine and lastly the Natural yeast.

So for sweeter, at least in my experience with this test, is that you'd probably have to kill the yeast and back sweeten. Or how about adding a touch of syrup at serving time? You could experiment easily.

Or couldn't you just add a non fermentable sugar, such as lactose?

Revvy said:
Or couldn't you just add a non fermentable sugar, such as lactose?

It would work, although it would take some experimentation to see if you like it or not. Personally I don't like Lactose, Splenda, etc sweetened products. The taste to me is no good. The Lactose sort of fits in a Sweet Stout because the 'creamy' flavor fits. I couldn't see it fitting in a Cider personally, but as always I am all for people experimenting. :fro:

zoebisch01 said:
It would work, although it would take some experimentation to see if you like it or not. Personally I don't like Lactose, Splenda, etc sweetened products. The taste to me is no good. The Lactose sort of fits in a Sweet Stout because the 'creamy' flavor fits. I couldn't see it fitting in a Cider personally, but as always I am all for people experimenting. :fro:

I chucked a half pound I had left over from my last sweet stout into a batch of the 'ole apfelwein on Sunday out of curiousity. So i'll let you know in a month.

But I feel like a total idiot. I took a OG reading, but needed to go get my reading glasses...and forgot to actually write it down. :eek:

Revvy said:
But I feel like a total idiot. I took a OG reading, but needed to go get my reading glasses...and forgot to actually write it down. :eek:

Ahh, worse things have happened I am sure :D.

Yeah, I think i willl try some experiments. I have never used lactose or splenda before. I so may try this route. I actually enjoy the cider the way it is right now, but was thinking about making it sweeter for my friends who may not like it so dry. I'm actually not planning to carbonate this, so I may also try killing the yeast w/ campden tablets ( is this the right thing to use?).

Eager to know the results of ur experiment zoebisch01.

Back