No lace - why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajitnair

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a beginner brewer and have only done extract brewing so far. I've noticed that even though my beer pours with a good head and is carbonated well, there is little lace left in the glass.

Any idea what it is that the beer is missing? What is it that causes a beer to leave a good thick lace in the glass?

Thanks.

Ajit

A very clean glass with no soap residue is what you need. If you use a dishwasher and it has something like "Jet Dry" it will leave a coating on the glass that will eliminate the lacing. Try washing your glassware by hand and rinsing well.

A very clean glass with no soap residue is what you need. If you use a dishwasher and it has something like "Jet Dry" it will leave a coating on the glass that will eliminate the lacing. Try washing your glassware by hand and rinsing well.

That's what I was going to suggest.

But in addition, try this: grab a beer glass, and moisten it inside. Sprinkle it with salt from the salt shaker, and then use your hand to scrub the glass inside and around the rim with the salt. Rinse super super well, dry, and then pour a beer.

Come back and let us know the results.

If you still have no lace, it's a recipe fault. If you have lace, it was a "jet dry" or residue issue.

I purchased a set of tulip glasses- use them for beer only, hand wash them with detergent, then rinse 6 times in very hot water.

I get much better head retention this way.

What Yooper said:rockin:

When I am done for the night, I rinse my beer glasses (Riedel Goblets) in hot high pressure water(I hold my finger partially over the faucet to make a higher pressure spray) .

Salt is the trick though, it is abrasive without abrading the glass, and rinses clean.

Thanks everyone - excellent suggestions. Never thought it could be residue from the dish washer - yes I've been washing my beer glasses in the dish washer.

I don't have a beer to try out the recommendations yet ... just brewed a new batch yesterday. So it'll be a few weeks before I get to try it out. But I'll update the post with results.

Thanks again.

Back