Saison Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Brewed a Saison which had an OG of 1.048 and used a 1.5l starter of WLP566 (Saison II). Airlock activity slowed to about a bubble every 10 seconds on Saturday and I took a reading. Showed 1.010 and the same again yesterday. I'd really like to get this a little lower and I read on BYO the suggestion of using a champagne yeast later in fermentation. Have a couple of questions:

1. Should I add it now, in the primary? (Seems like it, but wanted to make sure)

2. Should I add an entire packet? Hydrate first? I would like to drop it a few more points, but not down to nothing.

Any other opinions about this idea in general are welcome.

Thanks

What temperature are you fermenting at? If you are on the cooler side, I would gently rouse the yeast, and move to a warmer area of your house. Hopefully this will get the yeast going again and you won't have to worry about champagne yeast. I know not exactly what you are asking, but another option to try before resorting to additional yeast.

If you still have airlock activity, it would seem as though it's still going.

I did a saison 16 days ago. Took a reading on Saturday night. I'm at 1.012. Karausen hasn't dropped yet, so I'm going to wait to add any additional yeast.

I planned on leaving mine in the fermenter for at least 4 weeks.

Schemy: I actualy had typed that in as another option.

Temps in my house range from about 71 to 74. WL states optimal temps for the yeast are 68-78. I could easily give it a gentle swirl and move it close to a window where it would warm up.

Oh hey Guidry. Just saw that this was you!

Definitely get those temps up! You want to be in the low 80s+ to really get those Saison flavors to come through. My ambient temp in the room is around 75 right now. I didn't have a heat warp, so I took this heat mat that my wife had for starting plants from seeds. I taped it to the side of the 2 fermenting buckets and plugged it in. My fermentation temp has been in the mid 80s.

Yeah, I'd say try to rouse the yeast and let it rise up some more. Hopefully that will get the fermentation down some more. I don't have specific experience with that yeast, but from some various brewing buddy's experience that has worked for him in the past.

Moved it to a spare bedroom next to a window that gets some pretty strong afternoon sun directly. Swirled it around and wrapped in a large towel to protect from the light. Close the AC vent to the room and the door. Was significantly warmer in there this morning than the rest of the house. It was bubbling about twice a minute. Hoping this afternoon sees a little more action. I will probably just wait until the weekdn to take a reading again anyway.

I've used that yeast extensively and found the best flavors come from fermenting around 74F, but that's my personal preference. It's a finicky, unpredictable yeast- I've had some batches (of the same recipe) finish in two weeks, others have taken six. Just be patient.

Back