Traverse City Winter Microbrews and Music Festval 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Being held Feb 11th in Traverse City, Michigan at the Commons (Where the summer festival was held).

Tickets are $30.

Lots of great beer as usual and hopefully lots of interesting and fresh music as usual.

Honestly I'm getting somewhat "used" to beer festivals, but this one tends to have lots more musical acts and I've discovered several bands that I never would have found otherwise.

Plus the wife and I use it as a weekend to get away and relax and spend time together.

Here is the Link to the website of the people putting it on.

We're still going, but I just realized we have not reserved a room!

It's such a good time, I am pretty sure we are going to the summer one as well, but with a daughter graduating and going off to college... Plus, I am very certain there is some other big event going on this summer that I can't remember.

I have not heard of any of those bands (except the gagpipe band, and I heard of that blues guy in the Free Press...) But each time I've gone to this I've found a new awesome music experience. I have not reason to doubt that will happen again.

I was REALLY hoping Euforquestra was going to be there again this year.

Don't know them. If I could pull this off, I'd like to see The Crane Wives, a sweet little band from Grand Rapids who got their exposure from doing open mic night at Founders. Plus they are playing at Short's on Friday night.

Yeah, they are on my for shore list. Only acts I'm not interested in is the gagpipes and the Honty Tonk band.

Unless they have hot ladies. I'm shallow that way.

I am too. Maybe that's why I'm interested in seeing TCW....
Ok, the gf is paying and says it's for my birthday which was last month. We got the Comfort Inn in TC for $64 for Sat. So I guess we are going. She is ordering tickets tonight. I think I might tell her to use one of her 8,000 sick days and head up Friday to Short's.
A funny coincidence is the banjoist Tom Gunnels for The Crane Wives is the son of a parapro that works at my girlfriends elementary school.

LOL! I asked the wife if she wanted to go cheap or get something nice. She said since we are going to be out late there is not reason to waste money on a nice room.

So I got a room at the Travelodge for less than $40. Yay for the offseason! (I hope the beds are not to uncomfortable!) o_O

I was going to talk her into maybe going for an extra night, maybe head up to Shorts too, since I've never been there. But she is super busy at work (wouldn't be surprised if she goes in on Sunday) and she made plans for the Band Director and I to meet at a local pub.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to that almost as much as going to the festival!

Damn, that's a good deal.
Short's is a cool place, definitely worth seeing.

She signed us up for Friday night also but can't get out of school so we can't leave her place in Davison until about 4:30. That is going to put us in Bellaire about 7:30. I hope we can get in.

I should email my wife and see if she would like to go up on Friday.

I am betting $5 that she plans on going in to work Saturday morning though.

No good. She did not bother to email me back. Reminded me last night that we have plans on Friday night. Meeting up with the Band Director after school to discuss some music theory and drink a couple of beers.

Plus there my oldest is playing in the Pep Band during the basketball game. Maybe the beers will be after the game LOL!

It sounds like a great time! The best and music, not discussing music theory instead of going to Short's, that is.

I wish we could join you. Maybe in a summer event, since I do longer want to "do" winter.

What winter? It was mid 30s easy yesterday! I didn't need a coat.

They have a Summer festival up there too. We'd love to meet you and Bob up there for some tune and brews. You might even see me dance if you are unlucky! (well, maybe playing air guitar anyway..)

Did you know the Michigan Brewers Guild now has 2 festivals going on each year in the UP??

I'm actually looking forward to discussing music theory. I've played for years, and even took piano lessons and got some very excellent guitar lessons with lots of theory, but it's hard to learn theory when all you want to do is learn how to play Van Halen!

I think winter is showing up just for Saturday with a high of about 22 with snow.
I'm sure Homer you will have a good time but since I don't have those kinds of responsibilities I have to fill my time with beer events. :drunk:

My Short's list are Raisin Apollo, Woodmaster, and Good Humans since I have not had these yet.

Did you get tix for the festival yet? I was looking at the site map and because of the music will be hanging around the East Side Tent and coincidentally Founders is in that one. It's nice that extra drink tokens are only $1.

I haven't really looked at the schedule. 22F isn't so bad compared to the first winter fest we went to. Especially since it's going to be mostly in tents.

I didn't know they had a site map up yet. I'll check it out and see what looks good. I'm pretty excited since my woman has been working way too hard lately and it will be good to just spend quality time with there and some good beer. :cross:

I'm going to be pretty cold getting warmed up by that Hopslam!

2 years ago a was briefly groped by a somewhat older, slightly inebriated woman. This is going to be so much fun!

I don't have that kind of luck.

The problem with these events (not really) are that there are too many selections. Then I usually try more than I should and feel like sh** the next day. Oh well, I think Arbor Brewing's Ryeclops Imp. Rye will be my first stop since it's right by the entrance and I love me some rye beers.
http://www.arborbrewing.com/beers/56

Sounds like fun up there, wish I could make it. I'm not a country fan but I've seen Whitey Morgan a few times around here and they put on a pretty good show. Some gritty country that is definitely better with beer, should be way better with craft beer in TC than bud in flint....

Back