How much $$ for a BL Keg to make a Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balto

Reaction score
Got a Bud light Keg from a guy at work, and thinking about making a keggle. Can someone tell me what it's worth? I got this from a guy I work with so I don't really want it for free, if you know what I mean! LOL

Brewing 004.jpg

Brewing 002.jpg

Brewing 003.jpg

Usually Kegs sell for $30 in Orlando. When you get a keg that is also the deposit if you don't bring a keg to exchange. It may be different in you area.

Usually Kegs sell for $30 in Orlando. When you get a keg that is also the deposit if you don't bring a keg to exchange. It may be different in you area.

This keg came from Virginia by accident on the moving truck. LOL

Just noticed this is your first post, have you been brewing long?

75-100 for the St. Louis area, but I think a ton of homebrewers steal them so they deposits keep going up...

Honestly, you'd spend over 100$ for a SS stock pot that big.

Just noticed this is your first post, have you been brewing long?

Balto,
I have been brewing for about a year (20 or so batches) and have been visiting this site for most of that time getting ideas from the great DIY section. I have unfortunately been a lurker. I happened to see your question and thought it was easy enough to answer. I find a lot of great information on HBT and should probably try to add more to the community.

Anyone else?

Call your local liqueur store that sells kegs of beer and ask them what the deposit is on the keg. Like I said in Orlando it is $30 so at any time I can go to the liqueur store and just buy an empty keg with the $30 deposit.

compare the capacity and construction of that keg to an equally sized and built 15 gallon stock pot - the keg wins because the stock pot is easily over 100 dollars. I got my first two keggles for 20 bucks a pop - I had to modify them though. Its not worth turning it back in for a deposit - to make one into a keggle you need an angle grinder, a couple cut off disks, a flapper sander disk, and a bimetal hole saw or a step bit for making a hole for your bulkhead - either welded or weldless.

then you either need to buy a pre assembled bulkhead fitting or put one together yourself so you can drain you keg after boiling.

I have boiled in smaller pots - and I do mostly 5 gallon batches - its nice to have the extra room a keg affords.

you don't really even need to drill a hole for a valve - just use an autosiphon to drain the keg.

Balto,
I have been brewing for about a year (20 or so batches) and have been visiting this site for most of that time getting ideas from the great DIY section. I have unfortunately been a lurker. I happened to see your question and thought it was easy enough to answer. I find a lot of great information on HBT and should probably try to add more to the community.

Nice to meet you and Thank You for the reply. It's a great forum and I'm sure you'll meet some nice people. Sometimes when you write it doesn't always come across as to what you mean. :D

compare the capacity and construction of that keg to an equally sized and built 15 gallon stock pot - the keg wins because the stock pot is easily over 100 dollars. I got my first two keggles for 20 bucks a pop - I had to modify them though.

One of my friends is a welder and has a fabricating shop. So the rest is a free deal. He has the fittings and valve. Well not actually free! I'll need to bring him a 12 pack of Harpoon UFO!!!!

I am surprised that nobody has brought up the ethical issue. Guess that makes me the one to mention it.

What ethical issue?

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Brew Wizard - Keg Ethics 101: Mr. Wizard

I ran into this myself. I am returning the one I acquired, but that's because it was from New Belgium. I can't say I'd feel bad about someone stealing from AB-InBev.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Brew Wizard - Keg Ethics 101: Mr. Wizard

I ran into this myself. I am returning the one I acquired, but that's because it was from New Belgium. I can't say I'd feel bad about someone stealing from AB-InBev.

Great! If you bought Bud (bottles,cans and Kegs) for the last 45 years what makes you think it's un ethical!

the keg theft issue has been beaten to death on this site. no one is going to turn you in for having a keg. i bought all mine - except for the most recent which i bought from a bev distributor who had express knowledge I was using it for brewing - from people that had them sitting in their basements from 10 years ago or in a shed. The last ones I bought were covered in mud and old leaves.

do as you will. Me? I am going to use the biggest cheapest stainless steel container I can find to make beer - and that turns out to be a keg

Hey Balto,
Are going to brew 5 or 10 gallon batches? Your burner looks to be small to brew 10 gallon batches. 10 gallons of wort plus the weight of the keg is going to weight more than 100 pounds. For 5 gallons batches your keg will weight more than 60 pounds. I think your burner is undersized for your keggle. Could be a disaster waiting to happen.
Time for a burner upgrade.

the keg theft issue has been beaten to death on this site. no one is going to turn you in for having a keg.

I must point out, though, that it's still new info to people who haven't yet been exposed to it (myself included in this until a couple weeks ago). It's not a question of whether someone will turn you in--it's a question of making decisions with all the facts on hand.

There oughta be a sticky about this or something.

the keg theft issue has been beaten to death on this site. no one is going to turn you in for having a keg. i bought all mine

do as you will. Me? I am going to use the biggest cheapest stainless steel container I can find to make beer - and that turns out to be a keg

Thanx Man! Thought the Keg Police would be over in the am with a warrant. LMFAO!!!! Hell I'll even wager they have a full room of them at the Barracks!

Hey Balto,
Are going to brew 5 or 10 gallon batches? Your burner looks to be small to brew 10 gallon batches. 10 gallons of wort plus the weight of the keg is going to weight more than 100 pounds. For 5 gallons batches your keg will weight more than 60 pounds. I think your burner is undersized for your keggle. Could be a disaster waiting to happen.
Time for a burner upgrade.

It's a 60,000 btu MR Grill burner Model No GR-203. The Burner came with a 32Quart ( 8 gallon) pot. Got that for free too! I also have a 24 quart (6 gallon) stainlees pot to. I'm only doing 5 gallon batches so if the keggle don't work I have a back-up plan. :D

One of my kegs came from the back yard of a frat house that my cousin owns and when the students moved out for summer break it was left behind. I did not steal it. My other keg was from a party I had and bought a keg of beer and paid my 30 dollar deposit and never did return it for my deposit. Evidently the keg is worth 30 bucks to them so I just take it as I bought the keg for what the deposit was. Again, I did not steal it. Some people make it sound like we go around at night with hoodies on raiding the back rooms of bars stealing kegs.

One of my kegs came from the back yard of a frat house that my cousin owns and when the students moved out for summer break it was left behind. I did not steal it. My other keg was from a party I had and bought a keg of beer and paid my 30 dollar deposit and never did return it for my deposit. Evidently the keg is worth 30 bucks to them so I just take it as I bought the keg for what the deposit was. Again, I did not steal it. Some people make it sound like we go around at night with hoodies on raiding the back rooms of bars stealing kegs.

Oh geeez. Get ready for it....

:mug:

LOL, I have seen some of the other threads on this. Gets kinda wierd.

Well, if you're begging for it. . .

[rant]
Nah, you know better. If you buy fenced property, you're not somehow in the clear. A keg deposit from some beer place is not sufficient claim of ownership, because it wasn't the beer place's to give. A keg doesn't cost $30. But you know that. So mincing words about how you paid for the deposit is just a way of avoiding the simple fact that it's ill-gotten goods.

That's the territory, whether or not you want to face up to it. Do what you will. But don't kid yourself.
[/rant]

But keggles sure are awesome. :)

I actually appreciate that someone brought up the issue of ownership. I really didn't think about it and I was considering picking up an old keg from a friend.

I liken it to borrowing a tool from Autozone. You may give them $20 to use the tool, but it's not yours to keep. They will give you the $20 back when you turn it it. The tool is likely worth more than the deposit, so it may be tempting to just keep it and say, "they let me walk out of the building with it for $20 so that must be what it's worth to them..." Anyway, I'm not condemning anyone for what they do, but this will certainly affect my decision of how I acquire a keg.

Thanks guys.

I bought mine for 40 a piece. They were damaged kegs. Often when they get good dents in them the brewery will toss them. Check with your local breweries or scrap yards to find them. Craigslist is also a good place but often they are more and probably stolen.

Latest posts

Back