Tiny metal balls in floating thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toast

Reaction score
Anyone know what they are made out of and if they pose a health hazard? I had one break inside my mash tun tonight. I didn't lose all of them in there,but a good amount of them fell out of the bottom. I'm still going through with everything as planned I just wanted to know what they are...Hope nothing toxic:cross:

I might be more concerned about the glass than the metal BB's. I had a thermometer break in one of my brews and the majority of the wax dissolved into the beer, the BB's fell out and there was surely some glass in there. The BB's were steel (tested with a magnet, if they are lead they will not be attracted to a magnet, steel will). When I racked for bottling, I doubled over a fine mesh nylon back over the racking cane and I didn't have any issues. I'm still alive to tell the tale even! But if you have any doubts, remember: better to be safe than sorry.

I might be more concerned about the glass than the metal BB's. I had a thermometer break in one of my brews and the majority of the wax dissolved into the beer, the BB's fell out and there was surely some glass in there. The BB's were steel (tested with a magnet, if they are lead they will not be attracted to a magnet, steel will). When I racked for bottling, I doubled over a fine mesh nylon back over the racking cane and I didn't have any issues. I'm still alive to tell the tale even! But if you have any doubts, remember: better to be safe than sorry.

I'm sure that the glass and the balls fell to the bottom of the mash tun and didn't make it past the lautering process. I was more concerned about toxins being released into the wort more than anything.

Back