Help me identify my 240v plug?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd-santaclarita

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am really hoping to convert my brewery to electric. I moved this year and my brewery is in total shambles... My garage is outfitted with quite the power though. The previous owner had a metal lathe, welders and car lift plugged in. I know essentially nothing about electricity, but trying to learn what I need to do to get going for my conversion. Here is a pic of the plugs on the wall and of my main panel.

The plug doesnt look like the plug i see everyone else using, so I am confused on what to do. I also dont think its gfi protected as the breaker doesnt say anything about gfi anywhere i can see. There are (2) dual pole 60Amp breakers that feed 2 of those 50A plugs in the garage.

My goal is to build a single vessel electric biab setup to support 10 gallon batches. I have a 20g boil kettle (pool filter pot), which its ok...but I plan to get a straight walled 82qt bayou kettle with the basket to make things a little better proportioned for batches ranging from 6-10gal biab.

I have a march pump, PID and thermocouple and a ss thermowell as well. My plan is to put in a 5500w uld element and rig it up to a pid controlled setup...but I am confused on how to make it all happen given my power plugs, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much everyone.

-JD

Brew-Plug.jpg

power-panel.jpg

Unfortunately I dont have a multimeter. I'll have to plan on getting one as part of the electric build out for sure. The one helpful thing to note though is all the plugs are numbered and labeled at the panel. So #1 maps to the big 50A plug that maps to the 2nd 60A dual-pole breaker from the bottom left of the panel.

Thanks,
Justin

i don't want to deter anyone from DIY-ing, but this is the stuff that can kill people. i would suggest a a lower-impact electrical project to start out with.

oh, and buy a multi ;) like, today.

I attached a close up of the 50A plug.

Thanks,
JD

Assuming that the center hole is for a screw, not a contact, it looks like a NEMA 6-50 (rated 250 volt, 50 amps). You really need a meter to what voltage is actually present. If these 20 and 50 amp rated plugs are being fed by your 60 amp breakers, then I wonder if it was installed by an electician or by the previous homeowner. It would be a good idea to have an electrician take a look at it to check for safety.

That is a NEMA 6-50. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen some one install a 50 amp receptacle on a 60 amp breaker, and they will even use 8awg wire.

Have it checked out to be safe.

Motobrewer you are scaring me off a little... I am a diy person for sure..but not an electrical guru by any means. I did build this little controller box to automate my bbq pit...which is very close to the same concept as using it to regulate temps in the kettle. This ones outfitted with a 10amp ssr and 15amp plugs, so it needs all new guts to be of any use. I'm wondering if there is an intermediate step I could take by building it out with a 1500w 120v element and use it for electric powered strike/mash/recirc-heating-during-mash and then use propane for the boil. That would mean I would just need to replace out the SSR and plugs/gfi with 20amp rated.

brew-controller2.jpg

brew-controller1.jpg

The outlet labeled #1 is definitely 240V, and it's generally used for a welder. My Lincoln arc welder has that.

The center round hole is not a contact. It's the screw to hold it in place.

The male and female version, googled a Lincoln Arc welder: http://www.brwelder.com/images/EXTENSION CORD PLUGS.jpg

The one labeled #3 is also 240V, but I'd verify that one for certain.

M_C

I'd find an electrician friend or friend of a friend, at this point you don't need any work done, just an identification of what's there - offer him a couple of beers !! Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy with the result - you'll probably just have to swap out an outlet with a $50 spa panel to have 50 amp GFCI power... It doesn't get any cheaper or easier than that ! At this point just find out the gauge of the wire and post back !!

You have two choices. Buy a GFCI breaker and replace the one in the panel or buy a spa box and put it near the existing outlet.

I would go with a spa box so you don't have to turn the power off to the whole place to replace the breaker.

Back