what people who dont know better do with cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our window tinter here at the shop uses them for soapy water for tinting and applying clear bras, he drills a hole in the lid and installs a tire valve so he can charge it up using a tire chuck and shop air. he then uses a black coupler and hose to a spray wand.

He says he also uses them at home to keep bug killer in for spraying around the yard etc. :(

e-mail sent.

As a born and raised Iowan there are several things about that ad that piss me off. First and foremost, he's making all Iowans look bad by publicly advertising his stupidity.

He could have sparayed his chemicals and diesel fuel just as well with plastic tanks from Home Depot for a fraction of the price.

AND!!! For the love of God Almighty, after ruining them, he's still trying to get $60 a piece when I can pick them up for $45 each at MANY places online, and they'll still be safe for beer.

****ing idiot.

Sent two emails.

Also going to give him a call at around 10pm (that should be about 2 hours past bedtime for the hillbillies in that part of the state) just to drive the point home.

Assuming he doesn't hang up on me within the first 5 seconds, my plan is to offer him 5 bucks each for them.

I figure heavy doses of Dawn dish soap over a period of time should remove the petrolium products (diesel fuel). Lots of washing and lots of rinsing, plus new o-rings. Who knows, they might be revivable.... If not, I can use them to spray weed killer on my lawn....

I hope that he returns you call when he wakes up at 4 AM.

He can counter your offer and tell you that he will take $50 each.

I hope that he returns you call when he wakes up at 4 AM.

He can counter your offer and tell you that he will take $50 each.

Oh, that's no problem. I turn my ringer off when I go to bed. I'll respond to his voicemail at my leisure, probably around 11 am. And if he want wont' take less than $5 each for cornies that have had diesel fuel in them, I'll just politely decline, and, in the spirit of generosity, tell him where he can get more of them, food safe, for $40 a pop if he actually does manage to find someone stupid enough to pay him $60 each for these.

All in all, I think I'm being pretty darn helpful to the guy....

I don't really see a problem with this guys ad. I mean they were his to do as he pleased, and they are not grossly over priced. While there are cheaper alternatives, my LHBS probably charges $55+ each.

To go after this guy with emails and phone calls seems a little over the top IMHO.

Just had my phone call with him.

Started off offering him $5 each under the assumption that they had already had diesel fuel run through them. He swears they haven't, and still have the pepsi syrup in them.

Had a polite conversation with him explaining what they were really worth, and how I could buy them for $45 each already cleaned out, with new o-rings, and ready to go, then offered him $40 each.

He still declined.

He's not a bad guy, just an old fart who thinks he has more than he does.

I'll be leaving him alone, and hope everyone else will do the same. He's a really nice guy. I kinda hope he gets the 60 bucks a pop for them. (Even though it won't be me paying it....)

We hung up the phone and ended the call on friendly terms. I think he's a a very good guy, just a bit clueless on the market value of this particular item.

Personally I think the bigger concern is that *he sprays diesel fuel on his lawn* to kill weeds.

WHO DOES THAT?!? Seriously

As a horticulturist I can't think of too many things that are more stupid to do than that.

Personally I think the bigger concern is that *he sprays diesel fuel on his lawn* to kill weeds.

WHO DOES THAT?!? Seriously

As a horticulturist I can't think of too many things that are more stupid to do than that.

What are you going to use? Gasoline?

I mean, sure, kerosene is the obvious choice, but we're talking about an elderly farmer here... He's just using what he has handy.....

sure, you could, well, you cold do lots of things that would be "horticulturalist approved". But I still don't think the diesel or the kerosene is a bad idea at all. And dirt cheap compared to the crap I'm sure you'd recommend.....

(you do realize he doesn't just "spray it on his lawn", right? you obviously light the **** on fire when you do that.... And I can tell you from experience, even though I'm not a horticulturist, lighting weeds on fire does a pretty goddamn good job of killing them.....)

I don't really see a problem with this guys ad. I mean they were his to do as he pleased, and they are not grossly over priced. While there are cheaper alternatives, my LHBS probably charges $55+ each.

To go after this guy with emails and phone calls seems a little over the top IMHO.

Nobody "went after him".

I sent him an email politely explaining the real market value of the kegs, and then I called the number that HE PUBLICLY POSTED and made a fair offer for the kegs.

I'm not disputing his right to do as he pleases with his own property, and I politely offered him a fair price to take them off of his hands.

That doesn't change the fact that when I discuss it here I still think he's a frickin' moron.

Nice guy, super nice guy, but just about as dumb as they come. He really believes that he's giving these away cheap at $60 each. Hell, I hope he gets it. I just won't be the one giving it to him.

that should be about 2 hours past bedtime for the hillbillies in that part of the state

hey now... thats my part of the state!... not that I am offended at being called a hillbilly, I am offended that you are calling all these other people hillbillies. lol

I am from East Tennessee origionally and am proud to be called redneck, hillbilly, or the like. Look up the origion of redneck... it is really a compliment!

What are you going to use? Gasoline?

I mean, sure, kerosene is the obvious choice, but we're talking about an elderly farmer here... He's just using what he has handy.....

sure, you could, well, you cold do lots of things that would be "horticulturalist approved". But I still don't think the diesel or the kerosene is a bad idea at all. And dirt cheap compared to the crap I'm sure you'd recommend.....

(you do realize he doesn't just "spray it on his lawn", right? you obviously light the **** on fire when you do that.... And I can tell you from experience, even though I'm not a horticulturist, lighting weeds on fire does a pretty goddamn good job of killing them.....)

Actually my recommendation would be to fight weeds naturally.
-Mow high (no shorter than 3")
-Top dress with organic matter once a year.
-Over seed with a diverse grass seed mix twice a year.
-Add white clover seed to your mix
-Remove weeds by hand if you feel you must.
-Accept that you will have some weeds in your lawn.

I don't recommend spraying ANYTHING on a lawn. North Americans' obsession with a 100% weed free grass lawn is unhealthy and unsustainable.

Off topic rant over.

Is there really indignation over this guy using cornies for something other than homebrew? After all, homebrew isn't their intended purpose either. Who's to say our repurposing is better than someone elses?

Is there really indignation over this guy using cornies for something other than homebrew? After all, homebrew isn't their intended purpose either. Who's to say our repurposing is better than someone elses?

I am not saying our purpose is better. I was just supprised to hear that others use them for things like spraying weeds. not saying its a bad idea... i have a sprayer for weeds it would be nice to charge it with compressed air to 100psi and not have to pump it at all. I guess I was more supprised that someone would try to use such an expensive container for spraying weeds.

on the other hand beer is glorious and should be in every container :cross: to each their own :mug:

First and foremost, he's making all Iowans look bad by publicly advertising his stupidity.

i think you are doing a good job at that yourself for so forcefully trying to tell someone else what to do with their own property.

your opinion is no more valuable and is no more correct than anyone elses.

Back