Cherry mead- Fresh cherries vs Dried cherries- Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
Hi all. So after making my first batch, I was looking for another recipe to try and saw Summersolstice’s Cherry Bomb cherry mead recipe and thought that I would give it a go. SS says to use tart cherries, but all of the cherries I find around these parts are the sweet variety. So… I was wondering if I could use dried cherries instead, but had a few questions:

1. If you can substitute dried for fresh, how would you adjust the quantity?

2. How, if at all, would the final flavor differ?

3. Would using dried vs fresh change the fermentation, condition, or aging time?

4. Is there anything that is used in the drying/ preservation process that would be harmful to the yeast or throw off the ph/ nutrient balance?

Thank you in advance

latest Zymurgy, in the mail section; say it's more of guess work but suggested a 1# dried to 5# fresh. but goes on to say it depends on degree of drying & to error on the side of more fruit. It also says that dried may impart a different character. July/Aug page 10 if you want to run to the news stand & check it out.

Latest posts

Back