Will warming chilled beer to 70 degrees make it "skunked"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanch75

Reaction score
If I move chilled beer (fridge temperature) out of the fridge to warm to room temperature - willl it give the beer a "skunky" taste/smell? I've always heard that the skunking is due to UV exposure, not temperature.

About 2 months ago I brewed a batch of Munton's Premium Pilsner. Everything went great, it smelled terrific at bottling, and was extremely clear. I bottled it (primed with 3/4 cup of cane sugar) with no issues and put the batch in the basement to carbonate, right at about 60 degrees, maybe even cooler.

After two months, the batch has not carbonated very well. Its carbonation level now is the same as it was two weeks after bottling. It has a small hiss at opening, and the head is barely existent. It tastes flat. So I am trying moving the beer in the basement upstairs (where it is 70 degrees) and the beer that is in the fridge inside (where it is, again, 70 degrees). Hope it works.

So it is true - it's not warming beer that makes it skunked - it's UV, even with homebrew.

You should spend $10 for a digital gram scale. Measuring a granular substance like table sugar volumetrically introduces a significant margin of error depending on the size of the sugar crystals and how densely they are packed. That will give you greater control over carbonation levels.

And like others have said, you only get skunking with UV exposure.

Back