Double IPA Heavenscent IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
7.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 72F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
See comments!
This is a re-named version of the Corpsemaker IIPA I posted about. After only a week in-bottle, I gave it a taste, and immediately had to go change pants. This is, without question, one of the best IIPA's I've ever tasted, and the fact that I made it makes it all the more orgasmic. :)

Ingredients:
9 lb Pilsen LME
1 lb 8 oz. Caramel 20L
8 oz. corn sugar

Steeped Caramel 20L @ 154F for 30 min.

Hops:
1 oz. Chinook (10.5%)-60 min.
1 oz. Chinook (10.5%)-30 min.
1/2 oz. Simcoe (13%)-15 min.
1/2 oz. Amarillo (5%)-15 min.
1/2 oz. Simcoe (13%)-5 min.
1/2 oz. Amarillo (5%)-5 min.
1 oz. Simcoe (13%)-dry-hopped, 7 days
1 oz. Amarillo (5)-dry-hopped, 7 days

1 oz. Irish moss (in-boil)

Used White Labs WLP001 Cali-Ale yeast, pitched @ 72F. Attenuated at approx. 77%, final ABV=8.0%.

Fermented 14 days @ 70-75F (varied due to garage conditions...).

Update: 14 days seemed a bit short considering the original sweetness, so I'm calling it 14 days primary, then another 7 for dry hopping.

Bottling/Aging: Bottled w/ standard corn sugar. As of today, it's been bottled for 8 days out of a scheduled 21, but I decided to try one, and it's so damn good, I may reduce it to 14 days.

Tasting notes: The nose on this sucker is HUGE! Floral, sweet, and in your face...almost like birthday cake! Medium-amber pour, head is thick, & marshmallow-esque with good amount of lacing. Hops are so damn balanced it's unreal! Definite passion fruit flavor with a noticeable alcohol warmth. Hops aren't overpowering, but still obviously present. There's also an earthy sweetness after warming to room temp, possibly caramel or butterscotch, but the hops still balance it out so well. This is a beaut for being so young.

:ban:

Nearly a month since bottling, and this is still a beauty. The fruity sweetness has mellowed out a lot, allowing the hops to make more of an impact, though it's still extremely drinkable. Would recommend if you do this one with bottles, chill them for a max of around 1 hour, or if you have a beer fridge, keep them around 47-49F. I've noticed that if it gets any colder than around 44F, the flavor really tends to get masked. Definitely better when it's "mildly chilled". Other than that, I couldn't be happier with it.

:rockin:

Cheers! I took a few bottles to the local Uni brew crew meeting yesterday, and aside from some over-carbonation (note: I didn't measure the corn sugar precisely...), it got some rave reviews from guys that do 50x more brewing than I do. A lot were actually surprised that it was an extract recipe, too!

Hi, first post here! I have 2 batches of beer under my belt (one just bottled, one in primary) and today I decided to brew a big IPA of sorts as batch 4 (#3 will be some kind of stout I think, if I can decide on a recipe). This recipe looks like just what I want and seems easy enough for me :) Thanks a lot!!

I'll have to do a partial boil because my equipment is sadly lacking in size and I can only boil a little more than 1 gallon. I'll enter the recipe in beersmith and see if I can scale the hops to fit.. (if that's needed.) I hope that will work out ok.

IS the 8 oz corn sugar for the priming?? And if so you said it was over carbonated, how much do you reccommend i use to prime bottle? THanks!

Nope-the 8 oz. in the recipe was included in the boil. I normally use about 5 oz. priming sugar to 1 cup of water for carbing. The overcarbed bottle was one of about 3 that were over-carbed (out of a batch of nearly 2 cases). I found out, after the fact, that those 3 were the first to be bottled, so considering I didn't stir the priming solution when blending, it was most likely just heavier sugar concentration at the base of the bottling bucket, and not an issue of using too much sugar like I mentioned above. :eek:

Hey sorry if this is stupid question but dry hop at 7 days does that mean 7 days into fermentation or 7days before kegging. Did you do a secondary fermantor after the 14 days? Thanks for any help.

Bah-I can't type coherently sometimes. :mad:

Originally meant ferment for 7 days, dry hop for another 7 after that, then bottle/keg, but that seems a little quick to completely ferment out (now that I look at it), so I'd go 14 days before doing another 7 of dry hopping. Edited recipe to reflect this.

Derp.

Cool with a big beer like this would have figured at least 3 weeks. What do you think about secondary fermentor after 14 then dry hop for the 7 days. Figure it would give it time to clear out as well? Sample tasted good :)

I hardly ever use a secondary (mostly because I only have one other bucket & I use it for bottling...!), but it's not a bad idea.

Good to hear someone else likes it, even flat & warm! :fro:

I put together my own IIPA with an OG around 1.085 and 120 IBU, but I may tone it down and go with this recipe. Looks amazing. Thanks!

I'm going to try and brew this tomorrow, but my LHBS was out of Amarillo and Simcoe hops. I picked up Ahtanum hops as a replacement, but I was wondering if you had any other suggestions? Also, when did you add the Irish Moss to the boil? Thanks.

I've found that Chinook & Amarillo go well together, so I'd use some Chinook if you can't find Amarillo. Just use a bit less because Chinook's AA is around 13 compared to Amarillo's 8ish.

Also, I add my Irish Moss at 15 minutes left in the boil for every beer I brew.

I've found that Chinook & Amarillo go well together, so I'd use some Chinook if you can't find Amarillo. Just use a bit less because Chinook's AA is around 13 compared to Amarillo's 8ish.

Also, I add my Irish Moss at 15 minutes left in the boil for every beer I brew.

I got a pound of Chinook (only amount they had at the LHBS) so I'm covered in that department, but I suppose I should have phrased my question a little better. It seems that the Amarillo and Simcoe are used more for aroma than flavoring (judging by the addition times), so I'm wondering what a good substitute for aroma hops would be in this instance and if Ahtanum would work? Is there anything else that might be a good substitute as well?

That should do it for rambling hops thoughts, and thanks for the help CTown!

Just got done brewing this tonight. Went with Chinook for the 60 and 30 minute additions and used Ahtanum and Warrior hops for the 15 and 5 minute additions. This is my first attempt at brewing (brewed 2 batches of Mr. Beer before) so we will see how it turns out. Ended up with a 1.073 OG.

Nice, I'll let you know how this turns out. Did you bottle condition it at room temp for 14 days or cool condition it in a refrigerator?

This sounds good. I just finished my mash tun and would like to do an AG version.

What volume did you end up with? I see you said nearly 2 cases so I assume about 10 gal.

Thanks!!
Nope-the 8 oz. in the recipe was included in the boil. I normally use about 5 oz. priming sugar to 1 cup of water for carbing. The overcarbed bottle was one of about 3 that were over-carbed (out of a batch of nearly 2 cases). I found out, after the fact, that those 3 were the first to be bottled, so considering I didn't stir the priming solution when blending, it was most likely just heavier sugar concentration at the base of the bottling bucket, and not an issue of using too much sugar like I mentioned above. :eek:

I think I am going to try this for my first non-kit recipe...So what is the reason for adding 8 oz corn sugar during the boil? Just to up the OG? Are the '1% alcohol boost' bags I can get from A(ustin)HB just corn sugar on steroids?

Just popped the lid off of the bucket to take an gravity reading and it's sitting at 1.020 after a week of it fermenting and it smells amazing and tastes even better. The hops are prominent but are very smooth to the finish, and the color is a nice golden amber. So far it's looking great.

Epiiiic. :rockin:

Still tinkering with a possible updated version. Trying to get rid of the corn sugar all together in favor of stuff that actually provides flavor!

1.5lb Caramel 40L (bumped up from 20L--this puts the color right along with BJCP guidelines whereas before it was slightly below)
1.5lb US 2-row
9lb Pilsen Light LME

I bumped up the second Chinook addition to 40 minutes instead of 30; everything else stays as is. This version (according to Beer Alchemy) puts out 0.5% more ABV, so a final 8.5% with the extra 10 minutes of Chinook to (hopefully) cover any extra alcohol warmth. Also considering trying WLP090, but we'll wait & see on that.

Hoping to get this one up & bubbling soon...will post how it turns out!

I'm interested in seeing what happens when you bump up the grain bill and drop out the corn sugar. After this is bottled, would you be interested in trading a couple of bottles? I'd like to see the differences in using your hop and grill bill to the Ahtanum and Warrior hops I had to use for late addition boil and will have to use for dry hopping.

That sucks, and I know the feeling, I finally got rid of my rolling bucket of bolts just last week. Just keep me posted and good luck. I'll be brewing an Imperial Nut Brown for trail number two of extract brewing this weekend while working on setting up the secondary frige as a cooling fermentation unit. If all goes well, a WPA is on deck for round 3 and all will be up for trading!

Well, it's holding strong at 1.020 after 2 weeks. We just racked it over to a secondary for dry hopping, but the hydrometer sample was extremely sweet. Is there anything other than bottle conditioning that we can do to drop the gravity to get rid of some of the sweetness?

Thanks for the help. I'm going to bottle it this weekend so we will find out if the sweetness has mellowed out a bit more before its sealed up for 3 weeks.

No worries! I'll post the final re-work when I figure it out, but I considered the fact that an IIPA should have more hop presence, so while messing with the recipe, I boosted the Chinook by 1oz. per addition...turned out close to 100 IBU's. Seriously tempted to try it...O_O

Just do it! It sounds on par with the bitterness of Hop Stoopid or Small Batch 471!

I just bottled mine last night and the FG was at 1.018. The sweetness had faded away, and I dry hopped for 9 days. It wasn't overly in your face hoppy, but it was smooth for just being a hydrometer sample. 3 more weeks and it should be ready to drink!

Back