Is it to early for a lot of buds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsmn30

Reaction score
I have 3 different hops plants that are all in their second year. They are growing great but are already all loaded with hops. I know that harvest is usually not till late August to sept. So my question, is it possible that I will get an early harvest??

Haven't been able to do it myself but I remember reading that under the right conditions you can actually have two harvests. I'd say pick them with they're ready even if you think it might be too early time wise and see if more start growing.

Ive got about a 1/4oz of cascade and nugg that will be ready to pick in next few weeks,and the plants are just starting to really grow. they are older plants.

Got 2 off my plants last year. Second harvest better then First. Second year plants.

With other plants at least an "early" harvest is usually a much smaller harvest but they occur more often. It is fine to have cones already since in parts of the US it's been a very early and warm spring which will cause the early cones. Just let them grow and pick when ready. Just be ready to pick a couple times this year. This doesn't necessarily mean you'll get more harvest then someone who cuts their hops back until now but it's not exactly bad either. A lot of growers (including me) cut their hops back until near the last frost when the plants should really start growing. This will cause one large, even harvest and maybe a second depending on summer conditions.

To each their own...a friend's hops are already 15 feet tall and mine that were constantly cut back are maybe 3 feet tall. We'll see in the end how things turn out.

Back