1933 Beer label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Thought I would share this with you all...

A buddy of mine does alot of eBay auctions, so he goes to alot of estate sales. He found this label and thought I would like it, so I bought it from him. Going to put it under glass in a frame.

This came out of a scrapbook and the man who owned it wrote in white "When Beer came Back - April 7, 1933"

Kinda cool :)

3917-1933_Beer_Label.jpg

Some info I found:

Potosi beer once rivaled any in the country. Founded by Gabriel Hall in 1852, the brewery first pumped out about 4,000 barrels in a year, but reached 75,000 barrels to become the fifth largest brewery in Wisconsin. The Potosi suds were marketed under a variety of labels throughout the Midwest and eventually all the way to the West Coast.

Those labels included Alpine Lager Beer, Potosi Pilsener, Good Old Potosi Beer, Kellers Holiday Beer, Augsburger, Bohemian Club, Garten Brau and others.

Hail and a partner, John Albrecht, started their brewery when lead mining was king in southwestern Wisconsin and northwestern Illinois. Miners guzzled the brew after a hard days work, and Potosi prospered, developing into a leading port of its day.

Then, the California Gold Rush struck, and thousands of miners headed further west to look for gold rather than lead. Depressed by the downturn in business and personal problems, Hail hung himself in the boiler room of the brewery in 1884.

The brewery remained idle for some time, until it was purchased by Adam Schumacher, who rebuilt the business. At one time, Schumacher owned a steamboat, named Potosi, which carried beer shipments to Dubuque.

During Prohibition, the brewery installed expensive de-alcoholizing equipment to produce a "Near Beer," which had an alcohol content of less than one percent. When Prohibition was repealed, trucks were lined up a half mile on Main Street in Potosi to load four percent beer again at midnight on April 14, 1933.

At its peak, Potosi Brewing employed more than 100 people and shipped its beer all over the country. In fact, Milwaukee was a prime market. During this period, the company included a farm and a brewery-owned tavern.

ok
now ya did it . . .
You're making me go check those old oil can style beer cans the previous owner left stuffed in my basement ceiling . . . .

SBN said:
MMMMMMMM - Augsburger..............

Skol!

I actually have a sixer of that right now. It is now brewed by the Point Brewery in Stevens Point WI. I was there over the weekend and took a tour. tiny little place, but they crank out the brew.........

ablrbrau said:
I actually have a sixer of that right now. It is now brewed by the Point Brewery in Stevens Point WI. I was there over the weekend and took a tour. tiny little place, but they crank out the brew.........

I took that tour over the summer and now have a new found respect for them. They've really turned it around at Point.

wow, thats pretty damned sweet. i love 'old things' that represent 'old times'. especially cool with that caption underneath. also a cool story behind the brewery, and the hanging adds a morbid twist. very nice!!!

yea.. I thought the hanging was pretty cool too. I just noticed that the writing say April 7th, 1933 but the article I found says "When Prohibition was repealed, trucks were lined up a half mile on Main Street in Potosi to load four percent beer again at midnight on April 14, 1933." Wonder if the guy got the beer a week early??? Hummmmm

hell, maybe that label belonged to Mr. Hail himself.
or maybe the guy who owned it didnt also own a calendar and thought the date was a week earlier. haha i dont know

Sweet. That would be nice to frame and hang at ANY bar or home brewery. Very classy with a history behind it. Be cool if you could find an original picture like above to go along with the label.

VERY cool Cregar. I love old Pre-Prohibition and Post-Prohibition stuff... It's not cheap tho. Good find.

Pumbaa said:
ok
now ya did it . . .
You're making me go check those old oil can style beer cans the previous owner left stuffed in my basement ceiling . . . .

Uh, excuse me sir? Cone tops? are you talking about cone tops?

You don't need em'. Box those suckers up and send em' to me. I'll dispose of them properly for you. :D

Ize

Pumbaa said:
ok
now ya did it . . .
Cone top cans! If they are in good shape, you might have a small gold mine there!

Cool old label! I love stuff like this - makes you wonder what the stuff actually may have tasted like through the years.

Back