Beers Sampled While on Vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
Me and SWMBO went up to Michigan over the holiday to visit with her family. I had the chance to try some new beers and here are my observations.

I picked up a Belgian Brown Ale at the World Market. I hadn't had one of these yet and I really liked the way the belgian yeast added some complex flavors to the brown ale. I might consider brewing one in the near future but I need to back off the belgians for a while and try some other styles first. But it was a good beer.

Got the SWMBO some lambic Frambois(sp?). I didn't bother telling her what the Lambic part meant and she didn't ask. She liked it, to me it was pretty fruity.

The beer stores have a much better selection than down here in south Texas. However, the 10 cent bottle deposit kinda sucked but luckily SWMBO's brother is a homebrewer now and I left him the bottles. Picked up a sixer of SN Anniversary Ale. I'm beginning to think that all the Sierra Nevada ales taste similar. They're good, but similar.

There were a couple brewpubs we tried out while there. One of them had a Wednesday special where a local homebrewer could brew up a 10 gallon batch and they'd serve it there. That was an awesome idea, I wish they did that down here. Also, they had a great Tripple I had to go easy on. I was only drinking 10 ounce glasses luckily. They also did some coffee flavored brews but I didn't feel like sampling those but I heard they were pretty good.

Overall, the beers up north are much better than what I've been able to find down here. They are more expensive too though, I had to control myself and I still spent a little too much.

I also went to MI for the holidays. I tried Bell's Two Hearted Ale for the first time (loved it), and an IPA from the Michigan Brewing Company (which is only about 15 miles from my parent's house). It too was pretty good.

Beerthoven said:
I also went to MI for the holidays. I tried Bell's Two Hearted Ale for the first time (loved it), and an IPA from the Michigan Brewing Company (which is only about 15 miles from my parent's house). It too was pretty good.

If you get to visit Michigan Brewing Company, they have lots of beers on tap, good food prices, and best yet, a very nice LHBS with fantastic prices. I stop by every time I drive to/from Lansing.

Neomich said:
I believe we were at a place called "The Corner Brewery". It's related to the Abror Brewing Company. I'm not familiar with that area and I'm guessing it was in a town called Ypsilanti.

I've heard good things about that place. I live about 20 minutes from there. I'll have to swing by sometime.

Back