3/8" braided hose for mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
Anyone use this size successfully for batch sparge? Is a longer hose better in this situation, I have a 96" (I know, impressive;)). Thanks!

The wort will want to enter the braid ASAP within the first 6 inches or so....IMO any longer than the bottom of the cooler just gets tangled and damaged without much benefit.

Thanks for the input.

I've seen many DIY cooler mash tuns call for a 48" braided hose, any idea why?

Thought maybe there was a benefit to having it longer...

If you want opinions, best to post a few pics of what you have??? otherwise there are many types of braid, and only guessing that it will work??? so far all we know is 96" and 3/8", I am not familiar w/ anything like that?

I have a 3/8" SS braid and it works fine. I think mine runs about 6-8 inches long and that's works for sure.

When I started all grain I used a braided hose for about 4 brews and 2 of them got stuck. The hose braid crushes and then it's game over. I don't see why a longer hose would make the situation any better. I changed over to a kettle screen and had much better success. Now I use a stainless false bottom and it's the best. I always steer people away from braided hoses when I'm at work and customers ask me about mash tuns. (I work at a LHBS full time)

When I started all grain I used a braided hose for about 4 brews and 2 of them got stuck. The hose braid crushes and then it's game over. I don't see why a longer hose would make the situation any better. I changed over to a kettle screen and had much better success. Now I use a stainless false bottom and it's the best. I always steer people away from braided hoses when I'm at work and customers ask me about mash tuns. (I work at a LHBS full time)
Did you have anything inside the braided hose for support? The most effective thing I've seen to support the braid so it doesn't collapse is a loosely coiled wire inside the braided hose. This will help the hose maintain shape and not collapse on itself. I think it was copper wire that I saw being used.

I use a bazooka screen that has worked great for about 96% of my brews. I had a stuck sparge on a roggenbier recipe and the screen tube came loose from the hose once, but I corrected that the next time around with a hose clamp. Otherwise works like a champ. If/when I build another mash tun, I plan to use a braided hose with the loosely coiled wire inside as described above.

Back