Ideal Temperatures for Fermenting Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenapple

Reaction score
I'm about to start my first batch of cider and was wondering if I can leave the carboy outside in a storage unit. I live in Northern California where at night temp could drop in the 40's even less for all I know. It would be dark and cool were my thoughts. Will that work? We live in a small place and heard that the batch could give off some pretty foul smells. What do you think!
:fro:

No yeast that I know of will work under about 57 degrees, and even that's pushing it. Unless you use a lager yeast, and ferment it at 50 degrees. The problem is that you don't want wide swings of temperature variations. You'd be better off at 62 and keep it there, or even 75 and keep it there but not those temperature swings from outdoors. Stick it in a closet and it'll keep the odor down.

I was planning on using wyeast cider yeast as for the highs go, its tough to say, we'll be in winter soon. Obviusly there will be no snow but maybe the highs can reach 55-70 at best.

Back