Habanero Capsicumel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know white labs Eau du Vis (sp?) yeast is supposed to handle up to 21%. montrachet is 18%, i think? You could try that to "dry" it out some. Of course it'll wind up even more like a liqueur and even more appropriate for shots.

Just my .02

Slainte

This kind of reminds me of a habanero mango cucumber margarita i've tried before (which was amazing). I think i'll have to add to my list.

Subscribed!

I started this recipe 2 weeks ago.
I did pump up the volume though with 3 habanero peppers deseeded.
It is still bubbling away at a steady 62ºF and smells a decent bit like pepper coming out the airlock. I am starting to worry it will be TOO hot! :rockin:

I plan on racking it off of the peppers at the 1 month mark and letting it sit until summer and see what happens. :)

I've only made mead once before but I had the idea to make a hot pepper mead, which after Googling I found this thread and joined homebrewtalk. I plan to make some this weekend by cooking the pepper(s) with the honey and siphoning out the must to remove the chillies. Another time I'm night try fermenting with the peppers.

You aiming for something like Sriracha? Sounds exciting.

lol dont know yet just mixed it up last night using 4 whole(fresh) prik kee noo (mouse poo peppers) 1/2 lime and a touch of ginger... i might add some lemon grass and more prik kee noo to the secondary but i think that would be to much;)

disgusted-mother-of-god.png

I think I may have to try this..

One thing I keep thinking about is that is might be necessary to use 5 pounds of honey for 1 gallon to balance the sweet vs. hot.. Otherwise, that's ALOT of honey for just one gallon.

i just bottled up my 3rd batch of 1 gallon size mead, a Mango Habanero mix with orange blossom honey, 2x habanero + 3x mango primary and 3x habanero + 3x mango secondary. A quick taste after the primary wasn't hot enough so I added more in the secondary. The high ABV is masked by the liquid magma going down your throat, I absolutely love it so far.

Started it today; 5 lbs Raw Clover Honey, Champaign yeast, One Habanero, 3/4 tsp yeast nutrient and topped with spring water in one gallon jug. Planning on letting it go for a month, moving to a new jug and topping off with some water/honey mix then letting it sit for the summer into fall. Nothing says dead of winter like lighting your mouth on fire! SG was only 1.120 though that should be 16-18% if the scale is right. Looking forward to it!

I am a new comer to the HB blog and HB in general. I have made several types of wine including three different meads; this one sounds like I will be intense. I just started mine today. I did devein the habanero and add 1 tsp of yeast nutrient. I also skimmed off the foam off the too of the heated mixture. That was a first for me. What is the purpose of skimming the foam? Taking out impurities? Thanx for listening. I am excited to start blogging!

Started mine today as well. I used 2.2 # of honey and s-04 so I doesn't have to age as long with only 10% abv tolerance. I used 2 habaneros previous comments claim one isn't hot enough if you rack to secondary. I figure I can always back sweeten if I want it sweeter to compliment the heat.

Loving both Mead and Capsaicin, I'd be curious to try it with Bhut Jolokia, Ghost Chilis... Those I am growing, and they have a very..rich and sweet flavor to them.. :D great thread, I think this is my next brew!

Ok, SG 1.120, used the Champaign yeast and it went like crazy. Got a solid layer of sediment on the bottom and moved it over about a month in (end of July). Really didn't do visible active fermentation but got another small (quarter to half inch) of sediment again. Moved it again, topped it off with water and checked the gravity again coming up with 1.076. Seems like it still has room to play but not sure. Second yeast packet with starter or let it ride as is? It's got a sweet and hot flavor but according to a web ABV Calculator, it's only 5.4% I've never used two yeast doses before and this seems pretty spread out (June 26th for start and we're half way through October now).

just bottled my drunken mouse.

Drunken mouse Capsapmel
By H.Maurer

Ingredients:
Thai mouse **** peppers(4)
4 lbs. honey
1 gallon water
6 oz. ginger
1 lime
Yeast
pectin

Directions: Boil water to 160* add honey, pectin, 2 Thai chilies, lime, peeled ginger cut into flat strips, let cool to 75* pitch yeast cover let sit in primary until stops bubbling rack to secondary on 2 fresh Thai chilies for 3-4 months should turn gold, rack off lees and chilies, leave sit for month or so and then bottle

Bottled a batch of this last week for a friends party, if you like spicy food it's damn good. Finishing the last of what I didn't take along now and I think it's gotten hotter. This was left on the pepper for 3 months and it was too hot for my sister and parents.

This was my first mead. 3 Months on the habaneros, then transferred to a secondary for 1 month. I am ready to bottle them....

Does anything need to be added before bottling?

I was planning on using 16oz Grolsch bottles, but I have 12oz capping bottles also. Is there a preference?

What temperature should I store them at? Room temp? Refridgerated?

Back