VIOLENT fermentation!! Why??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalbrewer

Reaction score
I brewed this sat and on sun I was getting a good normal fermentation, but in the middle of the night , Pow! My lid blew off I sealed it off but again Pow! so I did a growler with a blow off tube bcuz I had this prob once before and it worked then. This time it's working but still going crazy, I gave foam coming out of the growler. Is this a common problem? And why?

It's not a problem, it's a good thing. Strong, happy yeast just love to ferment.

It is definitely a common thing, not really a problem. However high ferm temps can also contribute to it, say if you're 70+ degrees.

However I am fermenting an IPA at 62 degrees right now that I brewed 24 hours ago, and it is about ready to blow off. Granted I pitched a healthy starter of pacman yeast... :D

Ok . But yeah I think it might have to do with my temp and happy yeast:) I have one of those sticker thermometer things on my bucket.. Is that the temp of the brew or the room??

Generally speaking, 'violent' fermentations are not necessarily a good thing. Over pitching and high ferment temps can do as much harm to a brew as one that was under pitched or fermented cold.

BryceL said:
The sticky thermometer should be reading the temperature of the wort, not the ambient.

Ok thanks for the info, now I must clean the dried wort splatter on my walls haha:)

However I am fermenting an IPA at 62 degrees right now that I brewed 24 hours ago, and it is about ready to blow off. Granted I pitched a healthy starter of pacman yeast... :D

Every time I pitch a healthy starter of pacman the machine gun sound of the blow off keeps me up at night.

I'm sorry, but including any word in ALLCAPS in your title necessitates a picture in your post.

:p

You should buy a glass car boy and run a blow off tube instead of the basic airlock and you won't ever have to worry about the lid or airlock blowing off .

Are you fermenting in a carboy or a bucket? My experience with an Irish stout and a carboy= about a half gallon of beer going into the blow off bucket. I think it's because the neck narrows giving less room for the foam to dissipate so it goes out the top. Anyway I don't primary in anything but a bucket.

This happened to me three weeks ago to my Imperial Stout. My lid came right off too, which is amazing considering I have trouble removing it by hand it's on so tight.

Back