planning brews for a party in January! thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdogg

Reaction score
one of my buddies hosts a big bash every january at his cabin for 3 days. last year i brought a couple cases of homebrew (a coffee stout, a pale ale, and a strong ale) and they were a big hit. i now have the ability to keg so i thought i would bring a few kegs to the party this year. the question is, what to brew? i have until mid january. so far i was thinking a nice big IPA, a porter or stout, and something lighter like a cream ale, kolsch or a blonde. also, tips in timing these brews so they will be at peak flavor by then would be appreciated. thanks!

We have a Vanilla Cream ale we brew for the store that is super popular amongst a lot of people who are not homebrewers. 6-8 weeks is perfect as it will really allow the Vanilla flavor to mature.

Use your favorite standard Cream Ale recipe and add four ounces of your Pure Vanilla Extract to your secondary.

I brewed a dark ale that came out creamy...like vanilla cream. With no vanilla in it. I think it'd be cool if you could clone the Yuengling Black & Tan. Porter & pale ale mixed. Even my wife was surprised how good it was. Maybe brew both & back blend for 2 kegs worth?...

You could brew for versatility - make a stout, a lager, and a cider and then you'd have the options for black & tans or snakebites!

For timing out my brews, I have my Google calendar open and look for when I want the beer to be ready. I count back 5 weeks if I plan on bottling or two months if its a bigger beer. Then I create events on my calendar for all the important dates (make a starter, brew day, racking day, and bottling.) That way everything is organized and I can plan my schedule accordingly.

Maybe do a spiced christmas ale for one of them? Everyone seems to enjoy those. I'd do a porter along with that and then something lighter like a belgian blonde.

Mine fermented for 2 weeks, then sat 4 weeks in the secondary before bottling.

It was good 2 weeks after that but now it has been 3 months and it is real good.

another related question: any harm in brewing the IPA or IIPA now, and letting it sit in secondary until 2 weeks before party, then dry hop, keg and carbonate?

Back