This is an Interesting Approach to Beer. Your thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get it. What is it? It sounds like a poor man's all-grain method. The instructions are either very incomplete or else I don't think the yield will be terribly good.

What's it supposed to be?

Looks like a spargeless mash with sugar added to compensate. You could run a second mash and make a small beer with that much grain.

david_42 said:
Looks like a spargeless mash with sugar added to compensate. You could run a second mash and make a small beer with that much grain.

Do (non-desperate) people really follow procedures like that to make beer?

I think the kicker that i was trying to point out was the Guarana beans. I've never seen that before and was a bit curious about it. And the idea of a "Open Source beer"? Are they trying to appeal to computer geeks? Isn't basically any beer open source?

Guarana beans: Someone in the Heart of the Valley club had an ale last summer that used them. Can't say they left me with any real impression. Since their main flavor note is bitter, how would you know?

"open source beer" AKA free beer. Very old joke.

david_42 said:

We actually have a guy in our club that brews like this. Oddly enough his brews are typically quite good. We had a club brew this past weekend, and his process took almost the same amount of time to brew as my extract batch.

Well, the other thing guarana provides is caffeine, so this would be like a red bull/beer combo drink. It's an interesting idea, and possibly worthy of a 2.5 gallon batch.

I had a friend who added powdered caffeine to a stout. It was.....interesting. Kind of a weird bitter taste, somewhat like aspirin but not quite. Not exactly unpleasant, just kind of weird. And it was the strangest drunk I've ever had. Made you feel like simultaneously taking a nap and sprinting around the block.

Back