American IPA Ithaca Flower Power Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grains:
16lb Briess 2 Row
1 lb Honey Malt
6oz Briess Caramel 40L

Hops:
1.5oz Centennial @60
1.0oz Amarillo @45
1.0oz Simcoe @30
1.0oz Ahtanum @20
2.0oz Cascade @10
1.0oz Chinook @5
Irish Moss @15
dry hop: 1oz each of Amarillo, Chinook, Simcoe leaf for 7 days

added 4.4 gallons of strike @170 -- to get 152 for sacc rest for 60min
collected 2.6 gallons first runnings
batch sparge 4.5 gallons @175--to get to 168 for 10min
collected 6.8 preboil
Final Batch was about 5.3gallons to primary

I kegged this beer and had multiple people taste it, compare it to flower power ipa, and nobody could tell the difference between my homebrew and flower power. I use a large grain bill because I only get about 65% efficiency. If your efficiency is more, then you might be able to slightly lower your grain bill, but why mess with this recipe at all if you like Ithaca Flower Power. I have made this beer many times, so you should feel comfortable to be able to reproduce this.

How long did you let it sit in the keg?

It takes me about 1 week to fully carb this beer in a keg. I rarely force carb it at a higher psi. I set it at 10-12 psi and wait a full week.

Grains:
16lb Briess 2 Row
1 lb Honey Malt
6oz Briess Caramel 40L

Hops:
1.5oz Centennial @60
1.0oz Amarillo @45
1.0oz Simcoe @30
1.0oz Ahtanum @20
2.0oz Cascade @10
1.0oz Chinook @5
Irish Moss @15

added 4.4 gallons of strike @170 -- to get 152 for sacc rest for 60min
collected 2.6 gallons first runnings
batch sparge 4.5 gallons @175--to get to 168 for 10min
collected 6.8 preboil
Final Batch was about 5.3gallons to primary

I kegged this beer and had multiple people taste it, compare it to flower power ipa, and nobody could tell the difference between my homebrew and flower power. I use a large grain bill because I only get about 65% efficiency. If your efficiency is more, then you might be able to slightly lower your grain bill, but why mess with this recipe at all if you like Ithaca Flower Power. I have made this beer many times, so you should feel comfortable to be able to reproduce this.

is this still the recipe you are using? i noticed later in the thread you said you changed some items in it. also noticed you said you are using 2 SA-05 yeast packs. have you ever used a yeast starter with this or does the 2 packs do the job? i am going to gather the ingredients for this and want to have the final recipe to go off of. thanks!

Here's the latest recipe:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale US-05--- 1 or 2 packets
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.3
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 131
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 68
Additional Fermentation: No
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 66
Tasting Notes: Grapefruit, Pineapple, Citrusy-- just awesome!!!

Grains:
16.5 lb Briess 2 Row
6oz Honey Malt
3oz Briess Caramel 10L

Hops:
1.5oz Centennial @60
1.0oz Amarillo @45
1.0oz Simcoe @30
1.0oz Ahtanum @20
2.0oz Cascade @10
1.0oz Chinook @5
Irish Moss @15

I reduced the honey malt from 1 # to 6oz, and reduced the caramel from 40L to 10L and also to just 3oz. This greatly reduced the color. As far as a starter, I sometimes use Wyeast Whitebread 1099, in which case I use a starter. If I use Safale us-05, then I use 2 packets, which for me seems to eat up some sweetness and dry it out.

sounds like a winner! only question i have is fermentation temps. are those actual wort temps or the temp of your fermentation chamber?

Those are wort temps. I ferment in my basement which is usually around 65-66 degrees. The first 2-3 days of fermenting it rises to 68-70 which works with this yeast.

I brewed a second batch of this for a 4th of July party this Saturday. My first batch was with a full pound of crystal and a full pound of honey malt. I screwed that up, but it was still a great beer, but a little too malty for my taste. This time I went with a half pound of each. Early taste from gravity samples are great and the malt profile is definitely lower. Will let you know how it scores at the party! Oh, and I made a apricot blonde that will satisfy all of the natty light guys.

Here's a pic of my last recipe with only 6oz honey malt and 3oz Crystal 10L. Not the best pic, but you can see how much lighter it is in color-- now only 7 srm.

IMAG0077.jpg

Dumpsterboy,

Plan to brew this on the fourth. A couple questions. Is there any reason why you deviated from what is listed on Ithaca's website for the hops and malts? I know it's not a huge difference, but I was wondering if you tried that originally and switched a couple items as you saw fit.

Also, have you tried this with any different yeasts.

Thanks

I played around with different hop additions. I tried it just like Ithacas website, but found this just worked better for me. As far as yeasts-- I've used Safale US-05 and Wyeast Whitebread Ale. Both were very close. Ithaca has a proprietary yeast and it is suoer difficult to match the flavor profiles it produces. I actually used both of those yeasts in a batch, and that was delicious too. I do think the key is to greatly reduce the honey and crystal as stated in a few previous posts. Enjoy.

While I was waiting for your reply I read through the whole thread and found my answer to the yeast. I also saw you switched some hops up as well.

What recipe a you rolling with now a days?

To avoid any confusion on my original recipe-- I now updated the recipe on post #1, with the proper honey and crystal amounts.

Sorry, I don't know an extract version, but I think someone posted something about one on this thread somewhere.

My version of this recipe has been on tap now for a couple of weeks. Solid brew for sure. Can't say if it's a clone since I don't have any of the commercial version available. But it is great. Thanks Dumpterboy!!

Brew 5-4-13

11.5 gallons @ 78% efficiency (Expected anyway...)

29# Pale Malt (2-row)
1.5# Honey Malt

60 Min 2oz Centennial
50 Min 1oz Amarillo
40 Min 2oz Citra
35 Min 2oz Chinook
30 Min 2oz Simcoe
25 Min 2oz Cascade
20 Min 2oz Ahtanum
15 Min 1oz Amarillo

Dry Hop for 7 days. 2oz each of Centennial, Simcoe, and Cascade.

SA-05 for the yeast.

flowerpower.jpg

Got this in the FV right now, had to make looooaaads of subs though as a lot is not available in UK, so I guess it is really not the same recipe at all, but the basis is there

Briess 2 row subbed for Pilsner

Briess crystal subbed for Carahell 10l crystal

Honey subbed for Melanoidin

unfortunately Atahnum is not available here right now so used made a departure and subbed Nugget, as I love its spiciness, there is already a lot of citrusy hop in here so a little extra pine and spice would not go amiss

OG came in at 1.079, as I am pretty effecient so I corrected to 1.073 before pitching

the smell that comes out of the FV every time it bubbles is just amazing and I am really really excited to taste this when done.

finished fermenting, went all the way down to 1.012 so is bang on 8% alcohol -- really glad I corrected down to 1.073 or it would have been crazy strong. Wow, it has obviousy come out drier than I expected but I tasted the hydrometer test and after dry hopping this is going to be some amazing beer.

Thanks for the recipe my man, much appreciated.

Just got done making this...had to sub the amarillo hops as lhbs didnt have any. So i filled in with centenials...also added another half oz on the 2nd addition. My OG came out at 1.084 so this is going to be a super powerful beer. I just hope it tastes as well as the real stuff!

so today when starting another brew I realized that I had an extra pack of cascade hops. well due to me not paying attention...most likely due to some homebrew...:drunk: haha I realized I only added 1 oz at 20 min instead of 2. I have some time, but I would like some opinions as whether to just throw this extra oz in when dry hopping or just realize its gone and leave it alone. I don't want to overpower it on the dry hop which is what I am concerned with. so anyone...any input?

I wouldn't sweat it. The amount of hops used and the IBUs that would come from one ounce of cascade (@20 min) would be relatively not noticed. No worries. And don't fear the amount of dry hops. Some big IPA's need the over-the-norm amount of DH to help round out the intense bitterness. To me a Pliny clone sample is almost undrinkable before dry hopping, but like this brew, taste like golden nectar afterwords.

so are you suggesting that i throw the extra oz in with the dry hop? or just leave it out and use it for another batch later on?

Brewed this up last week. OG 1.068. FG got a little to low 1.012. Used pacman yeast and have been getting 82-83 attenuation with it. Prob not a clone anymore but should be a good ipa.

So I am in the middle of my first go at this recipe (and my first all grain recipe ever). I decided to do a double batch (possibly foolishly). But things seem to be working out nicely. I've got a 10 gal igloo cooler for a mash tun, so I had to do 2 mashes. The first runnings of the second mash are coming to an end here. Did the iodine starch conversion test on bath mashes and came out with flying colors, I haven't taken a gravity reading yet, but its good sweet wort.

Here is my dilemma: I have already pretty much filled my 18 gal boil pot without sparging the second mash. So, it's looking like I have 3 5-gal batches on my hands rather than 2. Do I need to triple the hop bill, rather than double it?

It seems dubious that I will get an answer in time to keep the show rolling, but any responses whenever would be greatly appreciated. (I am leaning towards, yes. Triple the volume, triple the hops. But its been done with only double the grain bill. So, I am slightly confused. Once, the first runnings have come to a stop, I'll take a gravity reading, and post that. Thanks again.

Cheers!

I would take a gravity reading of what you have and if it isn't too high just forget the second sparge and make double. If you use brewers friend it should be able to give you a post boil gravity from your pre boil gravity

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Flower Power is one of my all time favorites, so I had to try this.
Just made a 10 gallon All Grain IPA last week and its too D#$M cold out to do another so I did an extract....

5 Gallon Recipe:

6.3 Lbs Northern Brewer Superstructure LME
4 Lbs Briess Golden Light DME
1 Lbs Carapils
4 oz Honey Malt

HOPS:

1 oz Centennial @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 35
1 oz Simcoe @ 30
1 oz Ahantum @ 20
2 oz Cascade @ 10
1 oz Chinook @ 5

2 packets dry US 05 pitched at 73 f

Will dry Hop 1 oz each; Amarillo, Chinook, Simcoe

BeerSmith has IBUs at 141.8 (yikes), set OG at 1.076 (mine nailed it exactly).

Boiled the DME 60 mins and the LME only 20......Bubbling away nicely after a few hours.

Will report back with results.

Flower Power is one of my all time favorites, so I had to try this.
Just made a 10 gallon All Grain IPA last week and its too D#$M cold out to do another so I did an extract....

5 Gallon Recipe:

6.3 Lbs Northern Brewer Superstructure LME
4 Lbs Briess Golden Light DME
1 Lbs Carapils
4 oz Honey Malt

HOPS:

1 oz Centennial @ 60
1 oz Amarillo @ 35
1 oz Simcoe @ 30
1 oz Ahantum @ 20
2 oz Cascade @ 10
1 oz Chinook @ 5

2 packets dry US 05 pitched at 73 f

Will dry Hop 1 oz each; Amarillo, Chinook, Simcoe

BeerSmith has IBUs at 141.8 (yikes), set OG at 1.076 (mine nailed it exactly).

Boiled the DME 60 mins and the LME only 20......Bubbling away nicely after a few hours.

Will report back with results.

Would love to see how this turns out with the malt choice.

The beer turned out outstanding! Perfectly balanced. Just the right amount of bitterness to maltiness, with a hint of sweetness. To say it is Hoppy is an understatement.

I originally thought it was too sweet, but after letting it age for about 10-14 days it is great. A little darker than the original and to be honest, not as aromatic. But an overall great beer.

The NB Superstructure extract is great for IPAs and I will use it again.

The beer turned out outstanding! Perfectly balanced. Just the right amount of bitterness to maltiness, with a hint of sweetness. To say it is Hoppy is an understatement.

I originally thought it was too sweet, but after letting it age for about 10-14 days it is great. A little darker than the original and to be honest, not as aromatic. But an overall great beer.

The NB Superstructure extract is great for IPAs and I will use it again.

Good to hear! I have another batch of this going in the fermentation chamber right now. I loved the first batch I made so I had to make it again. This time I was happy to find more of the hops I wanted so hoping it comes out even better this time!:mug:

Back