Will a cider fermented dry still bottle prime

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I fermented two 3 gallons batches of cider dry.
OG was 1.070 after brown sugar.
Use Lalvin EC-1118 for one batch and d47 for another. Both at .995 now, if I cold crash to clear I guess I need to keg carb but if I don't cold crash can I add priming sugar and still bottle condition?

Patience :D

My last batch I did, went down to about 1.000 or a hair less. I didn't even add priming sugar and bottled it, it still carbonated. I'm sure you should be fine. If you can keg it though, that would even be better.

jflongo said:
Patience :D

My last batch I did, went down to about 1.000 or a hair less. I didn't even add priming sugar and bottled it, it still carbonated. I'm sure you should be fine. If you can keg it though, that would even be better.

I'm going to give some out as gifts so I didn't really want to Keg it....

I would recommend bottle pasteurization once carbonation achieved by bottle conditioning...until you get more bottle carbing experience under your belt. Even with cold crashing the odds of removing all live yeast cells is slim...they wake back up with increased temp.

Since you are below 1.000. Just prime it as normal and you shouldn't have to worry about pasteurizing. (just use a priming calculator to make sure you don't add too much sugar) I'm not sure about cold crashing the D47 though. I've heard it is prone to stalling if you get outside the temp range of that strain. So...it might not carb. But I don't know 100% for sure.

You could always just clear it at the low end of the temp scale instead of going down to say 40ºF.

Pickled_Pepper said:
Since you are below 1.000. Just prime it as normal and you shouldn't have to worry about pasteurizing. (just use a priming calculator to make sure you don't add too much sugar) I'm not sure about cold crashing the D47 though. I've heard it is prone to stalling if you get outside the temp range of that strain. So...it might not carb. But I don't know 100% for sure.

You could always just clear it at the low end of the temp scale instead of going down to say 40ºF.

Great... I'm on it.
Thanks guys.

As for your first question, yes.

Fermenting out to dry and then cold crashing will still leave enough yeast in suspension to bottle carb.

I ferment dry and then bottle carb. I think the success has more to do with the strain of yeast. I've had good luck with EC-1118. I add 3/4 cup brown sugar to 5 gal. (1/3 to 2 gal.) then bottle and keep room temp.

I've never had an issue with carbonation in Apfelwein. Mine go really dry and carb up in 3-4 weeks no problem. I add maybe 4 oz of corn sugar.

MarkKF said:
I ferment dry and then bottle carb. I think the success has more to do with the strain of yeast. I've had good luck with EC-1118. I add 3/4 cup brown sugar to 5 gal. (1/3 to 2 gal.) then bottle and keep room temp.

I was wondering about that.... Someone told me yeast like D47 can sometimes have a problem bottle carbonating when you have cold crashed but EC-1118 will never!
As I mentioned in one of my other posts somewhere that stuff seems to be the A-1 Abrams Tank of the yeast family.... Crazy tough workhorse and you can't stop it! Lol

So if you ferment down to .995, used EC-1118 or other champagne yeast, you can then get by with adding just bottle priming sugar amounts to get carbonation and won't need to pasteurize? Please confirm as that would be awesome to skip the pastuerizing and not worry about gushers, fizzers or bombs. BTW...intend to store at room temp, not frig or cold crash. thanks.

This, and why so you want to cold crash? If it is very hazy it probably won't help (more than likely dealing with pectin haze) other wise a week or two in the fridge will drop it clear after carbbing up

So if you ferment down to .995, used EC-1118 or other champagne yeast, you can then get by with adding just bottle priming sugar amounts to get carbonation and won't need to pasteurize? Please confirm as that would be awesome to skip the pastuerizing and not worry about gushers, fizzers or bombs. BTW...intend to store at room temp, not frig or cold crash. thanks.

Yes if you are already below 1.0 then no kneed to pastureize. Only need that if you want a sweet cider, for a dry cider you don't need it. Just use the proper amount of bottling sugar and you are good.

It drops pretty clear in primary (I go 2-3 months). The rest will drop out of solution between 2 and 3 months in bottle and be brilliantly clear. It doesn't taste all that great before that anyway.

I always pasteurize. It gives me peace of mind. Both for months of storage and that I won't infect my family.

I don't think so did he pasteurizers it so he does not infect his family? I don't get it?.... Doesn't sound like alcohol to me?

There is nothing in Cider that will affect your family other than alcohol, so not sure what he is talking about. Was just being a smart a@@

Any little buggies that survived. I don't think 5-7% ABV is enough to prevent an infection. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. Even wines with x2 the ABV of cider can get infected.

MarkF is talking about infections which can ruin cider like Brett, Lacto, Pedio etc etc, NOT infections which could harm a person consuming said cider which IIRC becomes a non-issue around 2-2.5% ABV

You are correct. Even wines with x2 the ABV of cider can get infected.

MarkF is talking about infections which can ruin cider like Brett, Lacto, Pedio etc etc, NOT infections which could harm a person consuming said cider which IIRC becomes a non-issue around 2-2.5% ABV

Well he talks about infecting his family, so I don't think he was originally talking about Brett, lacto, etc

I did not realize that those infections which spoil cider and look kinda gross can not make you sick.

Back